XP Home refuses to alter Pagefile size

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by KenA, Aug 12, 2004.

1. KenA

KenA Private E-2

I have 2 HP computers, both running XP Home. The following describes the Control Panel page for setting pagefile size. (1) Desktop - Custom size is ticked, Initial size 1536 MB, maximum size 1536 MB, Recommended 766 MB, Currently alloctaed 1536 MB and pagefile.sys is shown as 1,572,864 KB. (2) Notebook - Custom size is ticked, Initial 1536 MB, Maximum 1536 MB, Recommended 285 MB, Currently allocated 285 MB and pagefile.sys is shown as 292,584 KB.

I have clicked the [Set] and [OK] buttons and rebooted. I have also tried various sizes without success. I am a single user and have administrative priviledges.

Can anyone explain this refusal to accept a fixed size pagefile and, more important, can anyone provide a solution. I am tired of finding fragmented pagefiles.

Thanks in advance.

2. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

That's debatable for NT. The proper way to set the page file size is to set it to your PEAK value of your commit charge(k). This value represents the largest size that the page file has reached while you've used your pc.

3. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

Read my english again.. with the exception of your last sentence, it's exactly what I said.
    Take it how you want to read it.. but it's the proper way to set it. One should run their machine harder than normal and they'll have a good idea of what to set it at. Your peak value after a good run is your mark.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds