L1 cache?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SeanC, Feb 17, 2006.

1. SeanC

SeanC Private E-2

Hi.

I want to convert my old Win98se pc to a dual booting Win98Se/WinXP system so that my sister can use Itunes with her new Ipod.

My socket 7 motherboard uses the intel 430tx chipset (the board is a PC Chips M550), ami bios(release 11/17/1997 S), 64 meg of ram, 30 gig hard drive.

The processor is a spectra overdrive AMD K6-2@400mhz. Normally, my amibios(the latest and last version they did for my motherboard) disables the L1 cache on the processor causing it to run at a snails pace. The fix under Win98se is a file called L1enable.vxd which is run from Win.ini with the line

device=L1enable.vxd

The problem is, this doesn't work when I boot into WinXP and the system is so slow as to be unusuable. I know I'll need more memory as well, and it's never going to be that fast, but I only need to be able to run Itunes.

So the question is: how do I enable the L1 cache on an AMD K6-2@400mhz under WinXp - I'm ideally looking for a file I can run automatically during the startup sequences, but would setttle for a utility that has to be run manually if need be. Any ideas?

Hope you can help.

Cheers

Sean

2. zepper

zepper Corporal

A: I can't imagine trying to run XP on such a puny machine.

. 1- The TX chipset was never designed to work with AMD processors. If you get it to work, it's a kludge at best. So find an ALi, VIA or Eteq based Super Socket 7 mobo for your sister. You should be able to find one for cheap on eBay. The other option is to get a Pentium MMX 233 processor to use on it. I've seen them around for very little money - e.g. http://www.bgmicro.com .

Here is one of the best SS7 mobos ever made and it includes a K6-2/450 processor for free.
    AOpen Ax59.

.bh.

3. zepper

zepper Corporal

Other good ones are the FIC 503+ AT or 2011 ATX, Gigabyte GA5AX, some DFI, Soyo or Tyan.

.bh.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds