Win2KPro system can't find XP system

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SkiWinterpark, Sep 25, 2006.

1. SkiWinterpark

SkiWinterpark Private E-2

After replacing the motherboard in my desktop, I'm now unable to network with my laptop and other desktop. However, I am able to see and access my host desktop with mylaptop!

System specs:
    Desktop host PC= Win2KPro
    Laptop=WinXP
    Second desktop=WinXP

All 3 systems are set up for the same workgroup. I would greatly appreciate any assistance!

Thanks,
    Mark

2. rosewoodtech

rosewoodtech Private E-2

what error mess. are you getting or is it just timming out

3. SkiWinterpark

I don't get any error messages, just "Search is complete. There are no results to display" after searching for my laptop by name from "Search for computers" on my Win2KPro system. Prior to changing the Win2KPro's system's mobo, I had no problem finding and networking with the laptop and other PC.
    The Win2KPro system and the laptop are connected via a DLink router.
    I don't understand why I can see my host PC when searching from my laptop, but not vice versa.

4. rosewoodtech

rosewoodtech Private E-2

can you access the internet?
    can you ping the ip address of one of the other computers or router?
    try and turn you firewall off?
    reboot in safe mode w/network and see if you can access it
    go to my network places and see if the computer is listed

5. SkiWinterpark

Yes, I do have net access. I turned off the Windows f/w on the laptop, but still wasn't able to see it. I will try to ping as well as start up in safemode w/ networking.

6. ifoam

ifoam Private E-2

Get the Computer Name of the inaccessible computer.

Then, in another computer goto cmd and type "ping <<computername>>" where <<computername>> is the computer name.

If this is successful, they can communicate with each other.

Next, go to explorer and type \\computername
    where "computername" is the computer name. (Ex. \\BOBSCOMPUTER)

you should be able to browse any shared folders.

Let us know.

7. SkiWinterpark

Well, I feel like bonehead. I forgot about having had to repair the XP OS on my laptop a week or so ago, so I went through the steps again to set up netwoorking on it, and all is well now! Thanks very much for the suggestions!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds