Laptop won't hook up to wireless

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pete1burn, Oct 20, 2006.

1. Pete1burn

Pete1burn Private E-2

I started a new job a couple months ago, and my boss donated a Sonicwall TZ170 with wireless, and an older laptop with a Linksys wireless G PCMCIA card.

Problem is, I have never configured a Sonicwall, so I'm kind of in the dark.

The router's IP is 192.168.5.1, with DHCP range set to 192.168.5.2-10.

Wireless IP is 192.168.6.1, with ranges 2-5.

When I boot up the laptop, it gets an IP of 192.168.6.3, but it will NOT access the internet, or shared folders on my PC. I have checked every single setting possible in the router, I have allowed WLAN to WAN, WAN to WLAN, WLAN to LAN, etc etc. I even turned off ALL encryption for testing.

Anyone have ideas? Someone told me to change the subnet to 255.255.254.0 and make the wireless IP 192.168.4.1 since those two ranges will talk on that subnet, but now the laptop doesn't even pull an IP. I even tried setting the IP static, to no avail.

Anyone have any suggestions for this? I am completely stumped.

Edited to say, if I use Linksys' wireless setup thing on the laptop, it finds my wireless network and connects, but it says "You are connected to the access point, but the internet cannot be found.

I also cannot ping the router from the laptop, or the laptop from the router.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds