Generic Host Process for Win32(svchost.exe)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SpecialFNK, Jan 23, 2005.

1. SpecialFNK

SpecialFNK Private First Class

i have different messeges pop up from my Sygate Personal Firewall.
    my computer is emachines and i use windows XP. i also use Mozilla Firefox as my web browser.
    i get these different pop ups..
    "Generic Host Process for Win32 Services (svchost.exe) is trying to broadcast to [IP#] using remote port 1900 (SSDP - Simple Service Discovery Protocol). Do you want to allow this program access to the network?"
    i was told this was normal, and have said yes to this.
    ive also had these..
    "Generic Host Process for Win32 Services (svchost.exe) is being contacted from a remote machine [IP#] using local port 3023 (MAGICNOTES - magicnotes). Do you want to allow this program access to the network?"
    "Generic Host Process for Win32 Services (svchost.exe) is being contacted from a remote machine [IP#] using local port 5000 (COMMPLEX-MAIN). Do you want to allow this program access to the network?"
    these 2 sound suspicious so i have said no to them.
    i want to know if these are normal? and should i say yes or no to them?

my laptop is toshiba Techra 8000 and i use Windows 98. i also use Mozilla Firefox for this. ive had this message pop up..
    "Win32 Kernel core componet (kernel32.dll) is trying to broadcast an ICMP Type 10 (Router Solicitation) packet to [224.##]. Do you want to allow this program to access the network?"
    even after saying yes to this, i cant get a webpage to load. it just says "looking for..." and then the laptop freezes. doing alt/ctrl/del the window pops up and says Smc(not responding)
    i bought it as a used laptop and havnt had it long. i havnt taken the time to download any virus scanner or spyware scanner.
    any help is appriciated. thanx

2. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

Svchost.exe is one of the central services and hooks for a lot on Windows Network activities. Leave it alone or your Network will be messed up.

You can block the applications that try to use it if you do not want the application to do what its needs to do.

If you are Not using cable/DSL Router then it time to start using one.

:cool:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds