How To Enable USB 2.0 ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 20Valve, Jul 16, 2005.

1. 20Valve

20Valve Sergeant

I just put toghether a new rig with an ECS 755-A2 other specs are in my sig. I just thought USB 2.0 would be enabled by default. However, it seems that when I plug in my Zen Micro MP3 device XP gives me a message that the device would transfer data much faster if USB 2.0 was enabled. I click on the alert window to check available ports in the device manager to check port version but it really only gives a generic description.

Is there a way to check the USB version? Or could it be v2.0 but the device or XP is wonky for some reason?

Thanks for any info.

2. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

3. A.Son

A.Son Sergeant

first check it in bios,
    second using a high speed (USB2.0) spare spatrs like MP3 player, Camera,.... plug it in USB ports You will see a message that it inform you about that.

4. 20Valve

20Valve Sergeant

Thanks guys -

However . . .

da Chicken -

I remember with my last build a few years back I installed the mb drivers. Things got realy crazy. So, I am a bit aprehensive about doing the same. I just got things running smoothly on my new rig. I guess I will have to install the drivers - albeit with some hesitation.

5. 20Valve

20Valve Sergeant

Okay - one more thing. I went to the ECS driver page. The USB 2.0 driver description states that it is for Windows 2000. From what I can glean, there is no XP driver which means I am need to set it somewhere in the BIOS or in the OS. Or, there is a problem somewhere. I did poke about in the BIOS and I could find no setting in regards to USB version.

Any ideas?

6. A.Son

A.Son Sergeant

7. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Try plugging another UuSB device in, on its own. Borrow one, if you have to. Something like a flash drive, micro drive, or whatever each manufacturer calls it.

If your mobo recognises that (as USB 2.), and you don't get that balloon message, then there is something wrong/different with your MP3 player. Bazza

8. 20Valve

20Valve Sergeant

Still no luck. SANDRA says USB version 1.0. I might flash the BIOS, but I want that to be a last resort because otherwise things are running fine. I did not install the MB drivers because the setups are for AGP, IDE, etc. with no specific reference to USB.

Any other ideas?

9. Anon-068c403e2d

Anon-068c403e2d Anonymized

Have you installed service pack for windows xp?

10. theefool

theefool Geekified

If memory serves me, XP does not support USB 2.0 natively, unless you install atleast SP1. Though, since SP2 is the latest "and greatest", you shouldn't be having any issues.

11. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

BIOS flash is a good idea, obviously if the bios version has been revised since then. I am slightly confused as to why there is no USB 2.0 driver for XP but one for 2000 though. You could try installing the 2k driver (make restore points!/backup!). Might do the job (maybe).

12. 20Valve

20Valve Sergeant

Guys -

Thanks for all the advice.

I found the setting in BIOS. It seems there were two areas where the BIOS where the USB ports could be adjusted in one way or another. I only found the first. After further scrutinizing I found the second and fixed it.

13. theefool

theefool Geekified

As far as I understand it, USB 2.0 was finallized in 2001, not sure when the first devices came out. Windows XP also came out in 2001. Did it support USB2.0? Not sure, but I do know most motherboard usb driver downloads say, download SP1 to use USB2.0.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds