Alaskan Cruise

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by LauraR, Jun 23, 2012.

1. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

I am leaving next Tuesday to go on a 7 night cruise of the Inside Passage of Alaska. My whole family is going (Parents, Sisters, Brother and all the rest of their families). It should be fun, although there's supposed to be rain every day.

We are stopping in Juneau, Skagway, and Ketchikan.

Is anyone familiar with Alaska?

Any tips, suggestions?

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Stop by and pick me up. ;)

3. LauraR

Hop in, Tim. :-D

[​IMG]

4. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

Just remember to pack the sweaters and a jacket. Compared to the 90+ temps currently on the East Coast, it'll feel like you traveled back in time to January. :-D

5. LauraR

Ha! Don't I know know it! I'll be fine. It's the convincing my girls that they do not need to bring their short shorts (or any shorts for that matter) that's going to be a challenge. After the last couple of days, I could use a little cool weather.

Hey! I just noticed where you are. My sister was just in Houston this past week for work. lol...I think you all had cooler weather than we did.

lol...thanks gloozit. I appreciate the geography lesson. :p ;)

I'm planning on bringing all my photo gear for sure...including a rain cover for my camera.:) I can't wait.

TimW a stalker? It never crossed my mind!:-D

6. Phantom

Phantom Brigadier Britches

"When it's springtime in Alaska, it's 40 below", (Johnny Horton), is about the limit of my experience with Alaska.:-D

Sounds like you and the relatives will have a great time, Laura. I've been thinking about getting away, myself - but I'm thinking more of S.E. Asia/Fiji. My friend is bugging me to take a vacation, but then there is always that work thing to contend with.:(
    Say "Hi" to Sarah Palin for me.;)

7. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

Had a lot of rain last week, kept things in the mid to upper 80s - nice while it lasted.

Forecast for now through Wed. is 100-102 every day. After that, things are up in the air depending on where soon-to-be-tropical storm/hurricane Debbie turns. :eek

8. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

Hope you have a lovely time Laura! :)

9. LauraR

Thanks all!

lol...so I guess none of you has been to Alaska.

10. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

I don't stalk Laura. I just lust after her vacations. :-D:-D

11. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

So, going on a 7 night cruise. Ahh, what do they do with you during the days? Lock you up in the bottom of the ship for the people who booked a 7 day cruise? :-D:-D

Sounds like a fun trip. Take a lot of pictures.

12. LauraR

Nah...we opted for the upgrade to freedom of movement. ;)

Thanks, Fred.:) I will.

13. dyamond

dyamond Imelda Marcos of Majorgeeks

My friend and her family went on an Alaskan cruise and they loved it. The pictures were amazing! They went (on another boat) fishing, whale watching and then when they got on land, they visited museums and then they drove ATV's through the wilderness. It was mighty cold though even for them who looove the cold. They always talk about how much they enjoyed themselves. Hope you have a blast, Laura!

14. jimi

jimi Private E-2

Lived in Juneau and Sitka, too bad you're missing Sitka. But the Mendenhall glacier is well worth visting, not sure where the cruise ships dock at anymore. i've hike many miles on that chunk of ice, but do remember seeing it for the first time and, well it's big, old and frozen rolleyes. err the red dog is a blast - it's a saloon:wine kayaking is an interesting way of seeing some scenery no matter what town you're in. Ketchikan, well the anchor bar is a must, why? well because that's all i've ever done in there, but it's one of a kind. while on the ship on the inside passage you'll get some of your best photo op's so be ready, not like you'll have to look for eagle those are everywhere, but if you happen upon a pod of orcas hunting flipper, 1st take your left hand and close your jaw then get the camera rolling - nothing like it - and no i don't have any pictures of that stunning site - i was not prepared:cry also your best chance for some bear sightings.

it rains, got gear? water proof boots for hiking is kinda a must, don't need hiking boots as you'll probably just be walking close to town trails, if that appeals to you, and if it doesn't why ya going to AK:confused oh and ravens are not crows. i'd didn't take this my these a friend did out side of Stika, enjoy

Got questions ask away

almost forgot, the seagulls have been known to crap all over green toe nail polishrolleyes

GO FISHING!!!!!!!!! opt for halibut if you can if not salmon, mon is da way ta go, ya know

Attached Files:

15. jimi

jimi Private E-2

err i really do know how to speak, and type english. not sure where the " this my" came from in the middle of that sentence.

gloozit - very cool pic, nobody in the neighborhood has kittens or puppies huhrolleyes

16. Shadowchaser

Shadowchaser A Really Great Guy

Hey take Flat Tim with you! I don't think that he has been to Alaska yet and so far his trip to Key West/Tampa Bay area has been rough at best (thanks to Debby). I would love to take that cruise, been up there with Uncle Sam's Canoe Club years ago but that was a working cruise and not for pleasure. Let us know how it turns out. Will you have internet access at all? I believe there is an internet cafe in Ketchikan (the totem pole capital of the world btw). Safe travels!

17. LauraR

Awesome jimi! Thanks! Believe me, I'm prepared for the pictures. I've got a few lenses, including my 300mm zoom, so hopefully I'll get some of the animal/bird shots. Those are great shots you posted.:)

I do have rain stuff. We all have our waterproof stuff. I'm hoping we are going to get lucky. I doubt it, but one can always hope, right? LOL

What's up with all you guys not liking my green nail polish?? It is on and coming to Alaska with me! :p

lol....NO!!!!!! Last time I went fishing, I spent about 7 hours, seasick in the boat cabin.

I couldn't even fit all my clothes! I need to kick Tim out too. Sorry Tim. :-D

Thanks, Wraith!:) Sadly, even flat Tim can't fit in my luggage. Its all full. lol

thanks All! I am headed out at 3:30am tomorrow. You all be good for the boy Mods/Admins. Don't give them too much trouble. :-D ;)

I'll see you all in a bit over a week.:)

18. Shadowchaser

Shadowchaser A Really Great Guy

Can't believe that there is no room for Flat Tim! I'm certain that if you looked hard enough he would fit in the pages of that romance novel you are taking for those "down" times that you will have. Be inventive, place him in places you would not normally think of, like a handy USB flash drive that you can print off on board the ship!

19. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

Have an lovely trip, Laura. From what I've seen on Nat Geo/Discovery, Alaska is gorgeous. Definitely a "To do" on my list.
    Will you dock for a day or so- and get time to venture into the quaint towns and trudge the trails?
    You carting the 70-300 or the beast 300mm f/2.8 VR.
    Wish you good light. :)

Cheers..

20. jimi

jimi Private E-2

Laura since you're from the east coast i'll post this recipe, i'm assuming you've only had the atlantic vesion of halibut

only use that east coast fish for this one though. taken from the Southeast Alaska Women in Fisheries 1983 cookbook:

Take a medium Turbot (also know as greenland halibut) and clean it thoroughly. Remove head, tail, fins and season. Pack in damp mud and place in a depression in the sand. Then build a bonfire over it and cook for about 2 hours. Kick the fire away and remove the fish. Chip the mud away from the fish, then throw the turbot away and eat the mud!:-D

Hettie Rodgers F/V "Cheri D"

Alaskan halibut and salmon are like no other:yum:yum:yum

oh use can use the above recipe for that nasty atlantic salmon too:-D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds