Can Ping via Lan but nothing else

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chimp, Dec 20, 2004.

1. chimp

chimp Private E-2

Hi this is my first post so hello to all

i am tring to sort out my ICS on my desktop (main internet connection)
    and my laptop, the one i am trying to setup with ICS..

my desktop has the following set up:

Ip address: 192.168.0.1
    Submask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: blank
    Use the following DNS settings: (both blank)
    ICs enabled

my laptop has the following set up:
    Ip address: 192.168.0.2
    Submask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: blank
    Use the following DNS settings: (both blank)

i have been playing with this for weeks now and seem to be getting nowhere fast.

i am able to see both pc's via the ping...

using 192.168.0.1 (desktop)
    using 192.168.0.2 (laptop)

workgroup name on both pc's is: WORKGROUP
    they ping fine.

they can see each other although they wont access each other (If i double click on the icon for my laptop from the - View Workgroup computers)

I have disabled both firewalls so it aint that.

if i go to the View Workgroup computers the desktop one takes ages to see the laptop

on the Laptop if i go to the View Workgroup computers and try to explore the Desktop i get a message saying \\home is not accessable

if i try to connect to the internet from my laptop i get a message saying the page cannot be displayed

Please help

Andy

2. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

Hi welcome to MG, first time for everything!

I suggest that you select the option to "optain IP adress automatically". I've left it as this on all client computers on my network and the server has the IPs as 192.168.0.2 and 255.255.255.0, as you have. try setting them to automatically and failing that, change the desktop and laptop to both the same IPs, ones i mentioned just now, and leave the domains as you so rightly have done.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds