Google Chrome

Discussion in 'Software' started by Lavender, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Lavender

Lavender Master Sergeant

Yeiks! I downloaded on the understanding the size was 17.3 MB. My Control Panel tells me Chrome takes up 111 MB. It's gone from here.

Why don't download sites show the correct size and save people like me a lot of time?

2. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

the installer is 56MB and sits in the google chrome installer folder. It's a heavy cacher because of it's design. But other than that, the exe is under 1MB. Additionally, control panel has been known to mis-report sizes of applications.

3. Lavender

Lavender Master Sergeant

Thanks Kodo.

I'm forced to keep IE so I don't need another big browser. I never use IE only Crazy Browser which needs IE to run. Thus far, I haven't hit problems with CB and it's user friendly and very tiny.

I don't know why I even messed with Chrome but, somewhere in the back of my mind, I have a feeling IE will turn sour and I'll be left without a browser. It is not nice when one feels she cannot trust Microsoft.

4. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

IE8 is, thus far, the best version produced by MS. Still bloated and I hate doing sites to play with IE..

My self, I went from FF to Chrome, literally overnight. Haven't looked back. It does use more memory, but memory is cheap, so is disk space.

5. Lavender

Lavender Master Sergeant

I have never trusted IE. I never use it although I have to keep it updated to run Crazy Browser.

My C drive is pretty full and things like Browsers want to install there rather than on my D drive. Crazy takes up 1.16 MB so I'll continue to use it as it has never let me down. I have Firefox installed but I don't like it because it has too many bells and whistles. When I browse, I know where I'm going and I want to get there as fast as I can. I keep it just in case IE or Crazy decide not to work. As I said, I've never trusted IE.

6. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

I've used IE for donkey's years and have never had any reason to want to change - until Chrome came along that is. Used FF a lot but still prefer IE, tried Opera - forget that! - and several others, all lookalikes with nothing really to distinguish them. But Chrome, with gmail and calendar and a few other useful extensions leaves the others for dead imo. But it does use quite a bit of memory so I wouldn't use it with less than 2GB. When I tried it on my ageing XP 512MB laptop it struggled like a small donkey going up a 1 in 3 with three fat men on its back :-D

7. Lavender

Lavender Master Sergeant

Thanks, Earthling. Sounds as if you've struggled with an aging computer and not too much memory. My D drive has masses of space (87%) but my C drive is down to only 25% free. I'm careful what I download and I boot programs I don't need or use. It's something I'm very conscious of as I don't want to lose my computer to overloading.

I've found I cannot install certain things on D drive but I put everything I can onto it. My D drive is much older than C, because I had it transferred into this desk-top computer when my old one had to be replaced. Even if I install certain programs on D, they still end up occupying space on C.

I've tried various browsers but I've been using Crazy for something like ten years. The only problem is that I have to keep IE updated, and I need IE for MS updates of other programs. I'm not a techie otherwise I'd try an MS alternative.

8. Earthling

My main PC is well specified and that's where Chrome can really show itself off. On the lappie I keep it pretty clean and mainly just use it as a remote controller for the PC using TeamViewer.

Disk space isn't really an issue with Chrome, it's the amount of RAM you have that determines how well it will perform. As I said, I really wouldn't recommend it for machines with less than 2GB, but if you have plenty of RAM then it's unbeatable atm imo.

As was said earlier, disks are cheap these days. Have you thought about installing a decent sized main drive rather than trying to use D as a system drive?

9. oma

oma MajorGeek

I'm a FF nut since 2004 and haven't looked back at IE. Too bad we need it for Windows Updates. Additionally it's tied in snugly with Windows so one can not remove the IE browser without dire consequences.

When I read first about Chrome I thought, alright let me read up about it. From what I read in the EULA agreement I decided not to install it regarding privacy issues.

In June of this year I went ahead and installed Chrome out of curiosity. Just like the OP I was surprised about the amount of MB in the program and the high memory usage as shown in the Task Manager. Yes, it's fast but if one installs a few extensions, the speed goes down. I also downloaded an addon "Google Analytics Opt-Out browser" re the privacy issues and tweaked some other privacy stuff. BTW I have that extension installed in IE and Firefox browsers.

Just 3 days ago I searched for "Google" in my machine and hundreds of references popped up. I got soooo :mad in seeing so many of them that I removed Chrome and many other Google thingies that were showing in that humongous list.

I've tweaked Firefox over the years just to my liking and keep loving it as much or more than the 1st day I downloaded it.

10. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

An installed program often takes more drive space than the downloaded installation file because the downloaded file is compressed or zipped. Once it's opened, i.e. unzipped, and installed, it will typically take much more drive space than the size of the downloaded file.

Still, your quoted drive consumption of 111MB for Chrome seems inaccurate. On my laptop running Windows Vista, Chrome takes 53.6MB, per Programs and Features (in Control Panel).

I've been using Chrome a good bit lately and will definitely be keeping it, although it may not be set as my default browser. Browser Statistics at http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp show Chrome steadily creeping upward in it's user base. At the end of July, it had captured 16.7% of browser usage. So, they have a strong momentum going and I'd bet we'll see some more gain in market share for them.

11. Lavender

Lavender Master Sergeant

I'm sure my computer is so old that it's on its last legs. Replacing a C drive wouldn't help much as other components must wear after time. I often have my fingers crossed when I open up. The C drive I started with was the largest one available at the time (256 something or other). My D drive is kept for specific documents.

As a side note: Years ago I got a virus that took out key components of every program in C Drive. Oddly, it wasn't able to touch my D drive where the important and irreplaceable things were stored.

I'll keep Chrome in mind but, right now, I'm happy with Crazy.

Thank you all for your help.

12. Earthling

I suspect Lavender was quoting RAM usage - it's using 109MB RAM in my Win 7 atm.

13. Lavender

Lavender Master Sergeant

You're probably right, Earthling. I'm a dunce when it comes to anything technical.

14. oma

oma MajorGeek

In Add/Remove Programs Chrome showed up as more than 120 MB in my machine. Okay, had 3-4 extensions. So I guess Lavender must have been right in her MB's.

15. Lavender

Lavender Master Sergeant

Many thanks, Oma. For once, I got things right.

Cheers!

16. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

mine doesn't even list the size..

17. Earthling

neither does mine ....

18. Lavender

Lavender Master Sergeant

If Add & Remove doesn't list the size on ever computer, is that how programmers get away with quoting something at 17MB when it's actually more like 111MB?

Sneaky!

19. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Again, you seem to be confusing RAM usage with hard drive space consumption. As I previously said,
    Also, I believe Add or Remove Programs, in Windows XP, will show the size, i.e. how much disk space is consumed, in all Windows XP computers. If the user does see it, perhaps their Add or Remove Programs panel is not configured to show the Size column. If someone still claims their Add or Remove Programs does not show hard drive space consumed, I'd see to see a screen capture from their computer.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  20. Earthling

Here you go - though this is Win 7, not XP. As you can see, Chrome isn't the only program that doesn't show the installed size.

Attached Files:

21. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Well, shucks, why do we have this inconsistency between computers? Here's a screen capture from my laptop Vista system:

Attached Files:

22. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

well, if it's reading from the location that is listed in the add/remove for the application, then it's going to count the TWO, yes TWO installers that exist for TWO different versions that have been installed and then upgraded for a total of 220MB. if I remove that from the equation, I'm left with 1MB for total application size.

So I'm going to have call BS on the size reporting.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds