ive lost the IE thumbnail on some html docs

Discussion in 'Software' started by help, Feb 11, 2004.

1. help

help Corporal

ive lost the IE thumbnail on some html docs, u know the icon of IE, it appears on html documents, well some of my html documents are showing the icon, instead it just shows a unknown file type icon. the html docs run fine, but i liked it when they had their original thumbnails, just looks better with it.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Goto Tools > Folder Options > File Types.... scroll down until you see HTML & HTM document > highlight the file icon ( one at time ) > Advanced > Change Icon and where it says look for icons in this file the location should be C:\WINDOWS\system32\url.dll if not copy and paste this one and hit enter then choose the correct icon > OK > OK

It will then change to the default Icon do this for the other HTM file as well.

dunno if this reg hack from Doug Knox will also as well as restoring the default associations for htm/html files will create the icon link aswell
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

3. Wisewiz

Wisewiz Apprentice's Sorcerer

Just to add to what Major Halo said above, help,

There's also a fair selection of icons in shell32.dll, including an excellent "planet-e" (the MS IE logo), and there's an assortment of IE icons in iexplore.exe, as well. The File Types panel for Change Icon can explore either of those files for you and let you pick an icon from it.

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

So their you go help a couple of sugestions and locations for those icons.

Cheers Wizzy :)

5. help

help Corporal

nope didnt work, i tryed both the registry fix and tryed replacing the icon from folder options. my guess is that the icon must be damaged

Last edited: Feb 12, 2004

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds