Issue with router

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by The Wizard, Sep 3, 2004.

1. The Wizard

The Wizard Private E-2

Lately I've been having problems with my router(s). Many times my connection will go down and I will be unable to visit any web sites. I turn off the router and then turn it back on again and the internet is back up but only for a short time before I turn it on/off again. After that short time, it goes back down and I repeat the process.

This problem was happening a lot so I tossed my router and bought a brand new one. The first two days of having it, it was great, the connection wasn't going down at all but suddenly, it's starting to have the same exact problems as my old router. Can anyone help me find the problem?

BTW, I was never having these problems up until a couple weeks ago. I've also called my IP and they say their connection is up and running whenever it's not working for me so it must be the router.

2. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Hum!
    Two router's same problem, what is chances of that?

ISP provider claims all good, maybe connect without router when having problem, would confirm the router is the problem.

Where is router located is it near heat source, maybe overheating.

Eithernet card/onboard eithernet??

Virus??

3. The Wizard

The Wizard Private E-2

I am currently plugging into ethernet cards right now. I have tried going straight from the modem into the computer and it works perfectly fine so all signs point to the router. I was thinking it may be a heating issue since the router does get extremely hot and very quick. The router and modem are contained in a room that's not extremely hot but not too cool either. The room is above a garage and it can get a little warm but I wouldn't say it's really hot. Do you still think this could be an issue?

I have scanned all the computers connected to the router for virus, spyware, etc. and have found nothing. I try to scan each computer once a day. Each computer is also equipped with a firewall.

4. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

What brand and model router is this?
    If you have no problem when router is not connected, must be the router.
    Overheating? Might try to relocate, try fan blowing on router.
    Underwarrenty return, maybe think about different brand or model.

5. The Wizard

The Wizard Private E-2

The router is a Linksys Etherfast 4-Port Cable/DSL router. The model number is BEFSR41.

I will try relocating the router near a fan and see how it affects it.

6. jnick

jnick Private E-2

I had the SAME exact problem with the SAME exact router.

The issue was Service Pack 2 from Windows. Once we put it in, all of that started. We just took it out yesterday and viola! No problems yet (knocks on wood).

You may also want to try upgrading your firmware.

Jnick

7. The Wizard

The Wizard Private E-2

My problem has worsened considerably. I now can not access the internet with a router. Whenever I plug straight into the cable modem, the internet works perfectly. When I plug into the router, it doesn't. I did what you said ASUS and purchased a different router, a D-Link 4-Port router from Best Buy. I thought this would help my situation but it did nothing. I setup this new router just as the manual stated and can not get a connection established. However, I still can get internet when plugged straight into the modem so that rules out anything doing with the connection.

I have ran spyware/adware, virus scans countless times and still nothing. I am completely lost and it would mean a great deal to me if someone can shift me in the right direction concerning this matter.

Another question. What are hubs and switches? How are they compared to routers? Do you think getting one of those would help my problem at all?

8. The Wizard

The Wizard Private E-2

To add to the above..

I tried connecting 2 of the other computers on the network straight to the cable modem. 1 did not respond at all and the other one connected to google.com but just a few seconds in, it disconnects for some reason and nothing would connect after that. Now I'm thinking maybe the modem is getting bad? It still connects perfectly on the computer I'm typing on right now when connected directly to the cable modem. It doesn't respond well with the others unfortunately.

9. The Wizard

The Wizard Private E-2

Does anyone think that part of the problem could be caused by having different operating systems on each computer? One has XP, another has 98 and the other has 98SE.

10. Clown3h

Clown3h Private E-2

i have router problems too im no expert at all but in response to your last post wizard, having different operating systems wont help, i couldnt get windows xp and windows ME to network together at all when i tried a while back

11. Njal

Njal Private E-2

You said that the two other computers wouldn't either connect or stay connected to the internet when connected directly to the modem? I don't know if your ISP uses MAC addresses to control access to its network, if so you might have to change the MAC address on the router. I have owned about 10 routers and never had one shut down from excessive heat. I highly doubt that is the issue.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds