Audio Drivers Not Working

Discussion in 'Software' started by i N S A N i T Y, Aug 3, 2006.

1. i N S A N i T Y

i N S A N i T Y Private E-2

I had to format my computer a few times because of a virus, and then i had to take out half my RAM cause it wasnt working correctly. I though my comp was finally back to normal, but then my sound stopped working.

I have an eMachine T6520 PC, Windows XP: Media Center Edition, and my sound card is a Realtek AC97.

I downloaded the driver for the sound card from the Realtek site, and it seemed to install, but the sound still didnt work, and if i try to add new hardware, "Multimedia Audio Controller" shows up with a big yellow question mark before it. It says "This device is not configured correctly. (code 1)"

Id really appreciate any suggestions or advice or whatever.

2. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

3. i N S A N i T Y

4. i N S A N i T Y

Ok, well it seems to be making some progress. I got the driver for my AC97 to install, but now theres another problem.

Under audio devices in my device manager, there 6 "Unknown Devices." When i try to "Reinstall Driver" for any of them, it gives me the name of the hardware and says that there was an error and the data is invalid. Here are the names of the so-called Unknown devices.

Microsoft Kernel Audio Splitter
    Microsoft Streaming Service Proxy
    Microsoft Streaming Clock Proxy
    Microsoft Kernel System Audio Device
    Microsoft WINMM WDM Audio Compatibility Driver
    and
    Microsoft Streaming Quality Manager Proxy

Im assuming from what i found googling these names that the sound cant work unless these are installed, but i cant find a driver anywhere. Any ideas?

5. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

Your driver should be supported by windows, emachine web site on your model shows ac 97, i would uninstall everything related to audio. Then try to reinstall, when asked from where to install driver pick cd-rom and put your window disk in the drive and let it search for the driver. ed

6. -EdgE-

-EdgE- Private E-2

Hi If you haven't figured out yet ,go to device manager and un-install it ,reboot ,should recognize again

7. i N S A N i T Y

Ive tried that. About 7 times.

Tunered, I tried putting in my Restore CD's that came with my computer, cause they had drivers for all the other stuff. I made it search all 5 CD's for the driver, but it didnt find anything. And i dont think i have an actual Windows CD...I think i got it from the Microsoft Subscribers site.....

8. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

Wow, i would have thought that the restore cd;s would have had it on there, are you too far along to do a complete format again, and install windows again? Im thinking too many drivers installed causing too many conflicts. ed

9. i N S A N i T Y

I was thinking about doing a format too, if i couldnt think of anything else. All i really have on there at the moment are a few GB of music, and everything esle i have backed up....Ill format it tonight maybe if i dont get any more replies.

10. -EdgE-

-EdgE- Private E-2

Hey good luck ,hope you get the sound back,Have you tried a system restore ,back to when it was working?Also if your computer came with the discs ,you can do a restore(like a windows repair) or a destructive,where it wipes every thing out and put the comp back to the way you got

11. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK MajorGeeks Forum Administrator Staff Member

Hi i N S A N i T Y:)
    I'm sorry i could not get your sound driver to work for you. Your best now would be to format your drive and to try again and this time consult your motherboard for your driver needs. The reason is this most manufactures use OEM hardware which means you may have for example an Realtek AC97 sound card but the driver will have been modified in a way to work alongside your motherboard so downloading the genuine Realtek AC97 wont necessarily work and the same goes for your nvidia card. This is one of the main problem's with OEM computers as they in general are made exclusive for that particular company and in your case eMachine
    Product support for your computer can be found here along with a phone number which may help you should you run into any further difficulty
    http://www.emachines.com/support/product_support.html?cat=Desktops&subcat=T-Series&model=T6520

Last edited: Aug 8, 2006
  12. i N S A N i T Y

Edge - The only system restore point i have is from a few days ago, before i installed like the 4th version of the same driver. Also, the last time i can remember my sound working is...About 6 or 7 formats ago.

Nick - I got part of the driver to work, as in now my comp recognizes the AC97(it shows up in the device manager and i have the "((o))" icon on my taskbar), but its missing drivers for those things i listed a few posts ago. Also, i would have thought that the driver would be on one of the eMachine restore disks that came with my comp, but it doesnt seem to be there.

Im gonna try formatting using the restore disks and see if that does any good. Thanks for all your help, everyone! I really hope the format helps. >.<

13. NICK ADSL UK

Good luck just take it slowly when you have done the format. If the sound is OK then leave well alone as putting a up to date driver is not always the best way forward as you need to be sure of the reason for updating a driver and not just because it has been updated :)

14. i N S A N i T Y

One of the files on the restore CDs was corrupted.

alsndmgr.cpl (version 2.2.0.37)

Its one of the files in the sound driver folder, so thats probbaly the reason it wasnt working before. Does anyone know where i can download this file?

15. NICK ADSL UK

it is unlikely that you will have access to that file. You will have to download the driver in full and install once you have formated the drive

16. i N S A N i T Y

Im not quite sure what happened, but the sound works! Now i have a problem with DivX, but im pretty sure i can figure that out on my own. Again, thanks to everyone that helped! :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds