No audio devices

Discussion in 'Software' started by catarey, Nov 29, 2008.

1. catarey

catarey Private E-2

already searched. here are the specifics of my problem:

no audio devices found so i cannot hear anything on my speakers. i recently had the computer fixed due to spyware and rootkits. here is my system:

Computer name: XP-E8E7A55C1348
    Operating system: Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    Service pack: 2.0
    Manufacturer: Lan Plus
    BIOS type: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
    BIOS ID: 01/09/2004-SiS-650-6A6IXFK9C-00
    BIOS sign on: None
    BIOS date: 2004.01.09
    Chipset: SiS 650 rev 128
    SuperIO chipset: ITE 8705/SiS 950 rev 2 at port 002E

solution i need: where is my driver?

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

That is very limited information, but I did some research, and I believe your motherboard is a Foxconn 650M02-G. If so, it uses the regular Realtek AC'97 audio driver. It's available here at Major Geeks and can be download from this link. You should probably install the chipset software first. You can download the chipset drivers from this link. It says it's just an IDE/SATA driver, but it also includes other chipset software. If these don't work, please use the following steps to attach an Everest report to your next post:
    (above instructions originally posted by MG member musksnipe... thanks muskie!)

3. catarey

catarey Private E-2

i downloaded the foxconn driver but it just take me to winzip. it shows two files but im not sure what to do from here do i click on "extract to" or what? this is frustrating

4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Yes, extract any zip files. Then open the resulting folder (there may be a folder inside the folder) and double click the "setup.exe" file. Follow the on-screen prompts and reboot the PC if prompted. After the PC hsa restarted, double click on the sound driver file you downloaded from the link I provided, it's called "WDM_A406.exe". Follow those prompts. Once you've rebooted after that install, you should have sound :-D

5. catarey

catarey Private E-2

so far i downloaded the driver and then ac'97 and still "no audio devices". as a matter of fact ac'97 doesnt even show up as a device under " sound video and game controller". i have no clue where it is beside just having the install icon on my desktop. i downloaded the everest software and was wondering how to use it and what you wanted to see.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds