Acer Aspire 5738Z WLAN failure

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by joec., Feb 14, 2012.

1. joec.

joec. Private E-2

Hi

I have an Aspire 5738Z (Windows 7 64 bit) with a Atheros AR5B93 Wireless Network Adapter. I had a rootkit which completely messed up my TCP/IP stack and WinSock. However, I have resolved those issues, but now, I cannot connect to any network over WiFi. Ethernet is fine.

The drivers are installed, and I have tried to remove and re-add the device several times, uninstall and roll-back the drivers, all to no avail. The Acer Updater program says nothing needs updating.

There is a button above the keyboard to enable the WiFi, and this is intermittently flashing orange. The WiFi symbol in the System Tray has a red X and says "no connections are available".

Is there a way to get Windows to recognise my adapter?

Thanks.
    Joe

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Possibly an issue with the Motherboard driver. Have you tried SlimDrivers to see if it can find any newer drivers? Another guess following damage froma n infection would be to try Windows Repair to restore any settings that were not corrected. Actually, I would try that first:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Tweaking.com_-_Windows_Repair_d7141.html

3. joec.

joec. Private E-2

Thank you you are a life saver. I never knew Slim Drivers existed... It downloaded an update for the Atheros card which restored the link between the keyboard button, and card. Joe

4. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Life is good!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds