Atfer boot the monitor displays "going to sleep"

Discussion in 'Software' started by moritz, Jan 8, 2008.

1. moritz

moritz Private E-2

After pressing the power button to restart the computer, for about 4 seconds I could see the system starting the boot process. However, at that point the monitor displayed, "Going to Sleep" and the computer shut down completely. I've tried to start the computer several times with the same results; boot process begins, monitor displays "going to Sleep", computer shuts down.

Can anyone tell me if its a virus or harddrive problem, why this happens and how can i fix it.

Its not my computer so dont have much info on it, OS: Win XP.

Help needed! Thanks.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

HI

Pressing and holding the Power Button ( for 4 secs ) can have the effect of telling the PC to shutdown ( if set this way ), just press the power button, once quickly... does it do the same?

Can you boot into Safe Mode?

3. moritz

moritz Private E-2

Hi,

No thats not the problem, the computer runs normaly until windows loading image shows.. then the process stops and its appear and it display going to sleep...

But i must say it doesnt shutdown completly, it goes to the command mode and asks to start windows in safe mode, last known good config, start with command lines, of start normally.... Ive tried all of them with the same result: computer "going to sleep" and then the process reapetes itself...

I believe its a virus of some kind or its an harddisk problem, but im not sure...

ive tried searching the web on this and i have found several people with this problem but no awswers on how to fix it...

I dont know what to do

4. moritz

moritz Private E-2

I found this reply on someones enquiry but without confirming if its the problem or not...

"It sounds like your power supply has "gone to sleep".
    What are the system specifications - CPU, video, power supply etc?
    Also - check the CPU heatsink. If it's loose you have to reapply thermal paste"

does it make sense to you?

5. abri

abri MajorGeek

Hi Moritz!

I'm not sure if this is malware-related. The malware forum is restricted so to get more help with this, it might be more useful to post in the Software Forum where more people can give you their experiences.

abri

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds