chkdsk log ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by joneq, Sep 7, 2004.

1. joneq

joneq Private E-2

Don't know if this is the right forum but here goes. I ran chkdsk yesterday on my win xp home computer . I used the right click way of going about it and checked both boxes. My question is this is there a log or something that can tell me what it found and or fixed, When I came to check on it it had rebooted and there was a grey window saying that the computer had recovered from a serious error. id 103 source system I have attached the error I think

Attached Files:

2. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

lets have your system specs.
    In my searches, references have pointed to updating ATI drivers for a resolution.

3. joneq

joneq Private E-2

Are the ati drivers a brand name or does everyone have them. I have looked at my system specs and would rather post just what you need rather than my name computer name and such. The sestem error hardly ever happen. I ran the chkdsk because of bsod =page fault in non paged area or Windows has detected a problem and must shut down before damage occurs the problem is a device driver. Please tell me what you need andI will post it.------Tried to post the device driver message bbut too large

4. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

just need a list of hardware devices you have in your computer.

ATI is a manufacturer of video cards (primarily) . The references to the error you posted pointed to their drivers for their video cards causing some issue. I wasn't able to find anything else on it.

5. joneq

joneq Private E-2

hope this works. may need to send in 2 attch

6. joneq

joneq Private E-2

dam it

Attached Files:

7. joneq

joneq Private E-2

here is the first half first time too large

Attached Files:

8. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

is this a home built pc?
    have you checked for updated drivers for your promise controller?

9. joneq

joneq Private E-2

Vpr matrix from best buy. Have had no probs with it.have never updated any drivers that didn't appear in WU. I went to driver.com or something a few weeks ago and it found that like most of my drivers needed updating. Someonre in another forum said that they routinely find way too many things and to leave well enough alone, since I wasn't really having any major problems at the time. I went to the form because I scheduled something to run at the next boot and it screwed with the video driver. Let me see if I can find an update for that driver. Why do you suggest it.

10. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

Well, you have an nVidia card, not an ATI card. Though my research has shown only references to ATI cards, I wouldn't rule out nVidia cards either. The error you're getting could be specific to a video related issue. I'm not certain as the error message is pretty vague. When things like this happen and it's rather hard to pin-point an exact cause, update all your drivers and then test.

11. joneq

joneq Private E-2

Take a look

Attached Files:

12. joneq

joneq Private E-2

here the second half

Attached Files:

13. joneq

joneq Private E-2

should I update all of them and could I open a can of worms I don't need right now.

14. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

That's always possible and that's why we should always backup our stuff. But if I personally had to pick and choose which ones to install I would go for the following first:
    1. Display Adapter GeForce2 MX 100/200
    2. Bus Master IDE controller
    3. Ultra ATA controller
    4. Promise FastTrak 100 Controller

Do one at a time and test.

15. joneq

joneq Private E-2

that site wants like $30 to do it automaticaly. I can get the same drivers they are talking about by just clicking update driver in the device manager right. I am also looking at that video driver because one of the messages I get when there is a minidump bugcheck is disable caching and shadowing. I saw somewhere that windows xp does nor really need to have the enabled under normal use and also that nvidia cards especialy do not play nice with it.

Thanks very much for the help. I think I may try to disable the caching and shadowing first because it's the safest and easiest. I think I will do the drivers starting the next time I have a problem and do the ones you reccomend first. I may even ask microsoft help if they can decifer and find out what the problem is. With all the drivers that i need to update it's a wonder this sucker even starts up.

16. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

yeah, you can disable that.
    if you want updated video drivers go here
    www.nvidia.com and download the video drivers for the GeForce 2 series for your operating system.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds