Booting problems

Discussion in 'Software' started by lockett1977, Nov 8, 2004.

1. lockett1977

lockett1977 Private E-2

Hi

Could someone help, I'm having trouble with my windows me and wont to re install it, but I'm worried about losing my saved files and desktop icons, I have a me start up floppy but this doesn't seem to work at the start up only my cd brings me to the windows me setup screen. In my windows registery checker it says that registery was last updated on the 08/11/04, so if I reinstalled windows would this 08/11/04 entry disappear along with all my files and icons?

Thanks in Advance

2. mal1930

mal1930 Private First Class

Hi, If you intend to do a clean install you will lose everything and have to install all the programs again.

If you do a repair install (if ME can do that) then it will leave your files and programs alone. The only thing is will a repair install cure your problems.

3. lockett1977

lockett1977 Private E-2

Would it be possible to copy my registery onto cd so I can load it all on later, if so how would I go about doing this?

Thanks in Advance

4. Cobra

Cobra Private First Class

From what I have seen, DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES COPY YOUR REGISTRY TO CD. I did that with my computer and the new registry couldn't read any of the registry files. If you do want to back it up, I would suggest savaing the entire thing as a text document that way the new registry could read it, but really, there is not a huge need to backup the registry. The only thing that really needs backing up is all of the documents and stuff you have on your computer.

Backing up of installed programs will not work because they have to install themselves with the install wizard in order to work correctly or infact work at all. If you want your programs, just use the installation files to install them.

P.S. To save you time and confusion in the future, either go to Windows 98, or Windows XP. You really probably will one of them better.

5. mal1930

mal1930 Private First Class

Hi, When a program installs itself it does not only put items into the registry but also puts needed files all over the place. That is why copying the registry won't work as the files could be somewhere in your present windows directory.

Have you checked for virus and malware as they also could be a problem. If the computer is really stuffed than a clean install is the best way to go. I have only found that neccessary in about 1 instance during the life of my computers although others swear it needs doin on a regular basis.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds