radeon 9800 pro or aiw 9800 pro?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mrpainless45, Dec 16, 2004.

1. mrpainless45

mrpainless45 Private E-2

hi

im gonna buy a new video card soon, and i found a aiw 9800 pro on newegg.com for 235 and a regular 9800 pro for 240 on another website. i dont really need to watch tv on my comp, but which one is better benchmark wise.

2. Turcoloco

Turcoloco MajorGeek

Are they both made by ATI or another vendor, also are they both retail? If so, they are both identical cards with the exception of AIW having an additional TV tuner in it, as far as performance is concerned they should be just about same if not identical....I do not have any technical data on that, nor seen any benchmarks that suggested otherwise.....but it is hella bargain to get the AIW functionality for an extra $5!! ;)

3. mrpainless45

mrpainless45 Private E-2

they are both by ati and retail. thanks much for the feedback :)

4. mrpainless45

mrpainless45 Private E-2

also i dont know what model my motherboard is, but i bought a standard hp Pavilion 751n computer. will my mobo be capable of running a 9800 aiw?

5. Turcoloco

Turcoloco MajorGeek

As long as the mobo has the slot type available for your mobo. If it is an AGP, your mobo should have the AGP slot, etc.
    And also you should have Windows 2000 Pro or XP, you should be ok. I know for a fact that ATI 9xxx series do not work well if at all with Windows9x/ME.
    One last thing is the PSU, how powerful is it? Even if it is 350Watts, if you got multiple Optical Drives and a powerful HardDrive + couple of system fans, PSU might not be adequate...also check with the 'minimum system requirements' of the card and make sure your system meets/exceeds them. ;)

6. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

7. mrpainless45

mrpainless45 Private E-2

yep thats my comp. also, im buying another 512 MB of Ram, so that should help with the performance of the card.

8. acejones

acejones A Different Title

9. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

Doh' so thats where i read about the 6600GT > 9800pro...I just couldn't remember and didn't even want to post the 6600gt is better then the 9800pro because i wasn't sure where i had seen this... was going bonkers; thanks for the reminder :D .

10. mrpainless45

mrpainless45 Private E-2

I would get the 6600 Gt but my mobo only has an AGP 4x slot, and it needs 8x. so i guess im stickin with the 9800 pro

11. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

it doesnt "require" agp8x; it supports it; just like 9800pro supports agp8x. agp2/4/8x just states how much bandwidth it can trasnfer. Think of it like a highway vs an avenue. 8x being the highway 4x being the ave, 2x being the one way street :p

12. mrpainless45

mrpainless45 Private E-2

ok thanks

13. Kip32

Kip32 Private E-2

I just went through the same thing. Was going to get the ATI 9800 pro and found a ATI AIW 9800pro on sale for $100 off, $30 cheaper than the 9800 pro and had the same questions. Found out there is no difference except for all the extras on the AIW. Didn't need to hook up to my TV either but now I can play around and see what it can do.

14. mrpainless45

mrpainless45 Private E-2

oh yeah on newegg.com someone was reviewing for the 6600gt. they said you need a 450 watt psu to run it and im sure my hp doesnt have that. is he right, because he's the only one who mentioned it.

15. mojodojo2k

mojodojo2k Private E-2

Yeah i would go with your gut instinct and buy the Radeon 9800 Pro All-in-wonder. Back in the day (about a year and a half ago...lol) i was foolish enough to pay $400 for it at Best Buy when it first came out on the shelves. I say "foolish" because now it's half the price and that video game technology hasn't advanced much to where it's useless with new games. For the price now, it's a heck of a good deal and it can pretty much tackle any demanding game graphics on the market today. I liked it so much i bought it for my girlfriend's computer also!!!

I don't know much about the GeForce 6600GT card and other's may say it's better than the 9800 Pro, but i don't think there's much of a difference that the average video game player would notice when gaming. Plus soo many other things can interfere with gameplay on your computer, ie: processor speed, memory, etc. But in my opinion i've had no problems with the 9800 Pro and i think it's a great buy! I recieved Doom 3 for Christmas and was skeptical that my computer could run the program properly, but lo and behold my scrawny 1.9gh pentium 4 and 1GB of ram (along with the 9800 Pro) knocked out flawless gameplay on "medium" settings. Of course i now play the game on "high" settings on my girl's computer which has the hyperthreading technology and all that jazz

But enough blabbing, i just think the 9800 Pro is an execellent buy...and if you can get the 9800 All-in-Wonder version for the same price, i think you'd have fun watching TV on your computer and being able to tape programs onto your hard drive. I bought a Voodoo 3500 video card that had a TV option a long time ago and thought the fact of watching TV on my 17" screen was stupid, but once i actually hooked it up and saw the features i was amazed!!!

Whatever you choose, you'll have alot more fun playing....good luck! :)

16. MellowMan

MellowMan First Sergeant

I would get the 6600gt more future proof.
    but between the 9800 and 9800 AIW, I would take the AIW, I only have
    a 9600pro and a regular Tv-tuner (not really much of a gamer), and I love it
    a AIW would be very Nice.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds