Programs Running Slow and Slow Boot Times

Discussion in 'Software' started by Hmax23, Mar 20, 2005.

1. Hmax23

Hmax23 Private E-2

I have recently run into problems with slow running programs. They take a long time to load and then run slowly. I ran through the instructions for spyware removal with no help.

I noticed than when I tried to run programs, the performance monitor shows Idle Processes at 99%.

The only thing I couldn't do was to run the online scans in safe mode. I found no viruses and only a couple of spywares. Everything appears clean.

The 3DMark2001SE ran smoothly. My system is as follows:

Manufacturer: AMD
    Family: <unknown>
    Internal Clock: 802 MHz
    Internal Clock Maximum: 2 GHz
    External Clock: 0 Hz
    Socket Designation: Socket 754
    Type: Central
    Upgrade: ZIF Socket
    Capabilities: MMX, CMov, RDTSC, 3DNow!, Extended 3DNow!, SSE, SSE2
    Version: Model 4, Stepping 10
    CPUID: 0x00000f4a

Total Physical Memory: 510 MB
    Free Physical Memory: 257.07 MB
    Total Pagefile Memory: 1.47 GB
    Free Pagefile Memory: 1.28 GB

I am close to running a clean install of XP but would lose quite a bit of captured video if I do.

If posting a hijackthis log would help, let me know.

Thanks for your help.

Eric

2. cyberwil

cyberwil Private First Class

what i'd suggest to you is to defragment your hard drive regularly.you may also need a good internet and windows clutter cleaner. there are good programs out the like east-tec eraser pro, window washer v6.0 and privacy eraser pro. what i like about these programs is that the do not only clean unecessary files on your computer but they also clean your hard drives free space and file slack. there are also freebies out there like free internet eraser and c-cleaner. what you also need to do is check that there are no unecessary programs starting up with windows because they can be resource hogs. On your start menu double click on the run icon and type in msconfig and uncheck the programs you feel you do not need to start up with windows. you also need an optimising utility such as norton system works and fix-it utilities to help you safely remove unecessary registry entries, to speed up your hard drive and benchmark your pc. if you want an in depth conversation regarding these suggestions please don't hesitate to send me a private messege

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds