What a mess over at Avast

Discussion in 'Software' started by tritonobx, Feb 28, 2012.

1. tritonobx

tritonobx Staff Sergeant

It all started last week with new version 7 free anti-virus. Totally buggy with major GUI updating issues, and even with clean installs of new version. Really intense in their forums with complaints. Feel kinda sorry for the moderators trying to deal with the volume. I chose Avast in 2011 because I like apps requiring fewer machine and Windows resources, especially type 023 NT running services. Tried most of the free anti-virus apps out there and landed on Panda, and now Avast 6. I guess no A/V product out there was, is, or will ever be flawless, even with a properly configured OS.

2. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Any software is only as good as it's last update, all antivirus's that I've ever used have made some really big goof ups in their time (similar goes for firewalls and other security software).

FWIW, Avast! 7 has been working fine for me for a number of days now. I have seen some minor issues in other software that could possibly be related to the new Avast! but I've no proof of that as yet, no time to troubleshoot it either.

Rarely a day goes by here when I don't update one program or another, it becomes very difficult to pin down any clashes to an absolute cause without investing serious time.

To give an idea of the updating frequency of 3rd party software here; in the 4 days since Avast! 7 was installed, 3 installs (for just 1 new program) + 2 updates - and in the 4 days prior to the Avast! update, 8 programs were updated.

3. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

That's a valid viewpoint, I believe. http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=94454.0 appears to be the issue you're talking about. I encountered no problems with the program update to version 7 but, clearly, they encountered a snag that affected a good many users. Looks like their support forum is a good place for affected users to get info and help.

4. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

So far, so good with Avast 7.

Like satrow said, pretty much any program has it's share of horror stories as the result of an upgrade . . . and it is often very diffucult to rack down what exactly is causing the problem. I've used Avast ever since dumping Norton years ago, and have been satisfied with its operation.

Guess we'll see how it goes from here. I'll dust my lappy off and see how it does with it. Haven't used it in eons.

5. oma

oma MajorGeek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds