Packard Bell help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jukeboxmusic, Aug 5, 2008.

1. jukeboxmusic

jukeboxmusic Private E-2

Hi, today i decided to move my computer desk so i unplugged everything and when i set it all back up it would not switch on. Its not the cable and its not the plug.

I opened it up and left the power cable in, and the LED at the bottom of the motherboard keeps flashing green. I'm not quite sure if this means the motherboard is gone or there is no power or whatever. Can anyone help? Thanks.

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

That LED is usually the 5vSB indicator; that's the 5 volt stand by. If it's flashing, that tells me that the power supply may have failed, or the motherboard may have failed. Check your capacitors on the main board carefully. Here's what a capacitor looks like:
    [​IMG]
    The capacitors are the little towers/cylinders, not the copper-coil thingy. They should all be perfectly flat on the top. If they are even slightly popped or bowed outward, then they have failed. I've seen 'em so bad that the tops were split open and brown and black crud was leaking out. Alternatively, try to get your hands on a different power supply and plug it in. Maybe a friend has an extra you can borrow; many PC shops that sell used PC gear will have used power supplies for under $20 US (that's about 12 pounds I think). Unplug the power cord from the rear of the PC and hold in the front power switch. This can help every component completely discharge. Hold it for 45-60 seconds with the power cord unplugged. Release the swtich, plug the power back in, and try turning it on. If it still doesn't work, unplug the main power cord again, and unplug all the power connections inside the case; remove the power connections from the hard drive, CD/DVD drive(s), floppy drive, everything except for the motherboard. Make sure the hard drive data cable is also NOT connected to the motherboard. Be sure the monitor and keyboard are properly connected, plug the main power cord back in, and try to power up. If you get the PC startup screen (also called the POST screen), then power down, unplug the main power cord, and one-by-one start reconnecting individual devices. While your in the case, double and triple check all cables, connections and cards; make sure everything is firmly connected and firmly in their slots including the memory and video card *if applicable.

Good luck!

Last edited: Aug 6, 2008
  3. jukeboxmusic

jukeboxmusic Private E-2

Hi, thanks for the reply. I checked all the capacitors and they appeared to be fine, and i tried a working power pack in replace of the one i had. Instead of the motherboard LED flashing, it stayed green but it still didn't power on.

Motherboard gone?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds