Audio Controller for WinXP

Discussion in 'Software' started by Leila, Sep 18, 2004.

1. Leila

Leila Private E-2

I have an oldish Sony Vaio Notebook, model PCG FX220, P III 750 Mobile.
    I successfully increased the RAM from 128 to 384 (it was difficult to get this old RAM),

and I tried a fresh install of Win XP Pro, with SP2. There were 2 glitches:
    1. Sony recommendeded a BIOS Update for this model, but when I downloaded it, the

instructions clearly said that the update should NOT be done if the RAM had been increased.

Sony Support were simply unable to give me a specific answer, so I proceeded without the

update.
    2.WinXP seemed to instal properly, but no Audio controller works. Intel 82801 BA/BAM

AC'97 Audio Controller is present, but Device Manager shows a conflict, and the Properties

say that it cannot start "Code 10"
    WHAT DOES "CODE 10" MEAN?
    Sony Support has failed me again, their model specific download page gave me a 7MB

download for their SoundMax controller, but when I try to install it, I get a message that

it will not work with this computer. I have tried 3 times!

Most grateful for help on how to get the Intel Audio Controller to work!
    Best wishes,
    Leila

2. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

All code 10 means is that the operating system couldn't allocate resources. Not very helpful really.

For that sound chip, the standard Microsoft drivers on the XP CD work fine, as do the SoundMax ones. I've used both, and found no advantage with the SoundMax drivers unless you have surround sound.

Check in Device Manager and make sure that there are resources available for the driver, or you will have to manually allocate some if automatic does not work.

3. jarcher

jarcher I can't handle a title

where would one look? if the xp cd is not avail.

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Actually, code 10 can also mean that the device has been disabled in another location, such as the bios.

I helped a member here with the same exact issue, with onboard sound.

Her sound drivers would not work either.

We had her enable it int he bios, and the problem was taken care of.

So in short, check and make sure its enabled in the bios.

5. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

Yes, that's a possibility, but according to MicroSoft, it means "This device is either not present, not working properly, or does not have all the drivers installed" (Code 10)

6. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Disabled devices are generally not present.

Glad we could agree for once.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds