network security

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by eagerinsight, Dec 21, 2005.

1. eagerinsight

eagerinsight Private E-2

I have a linksys WRT54GS, with enabled firewall protection, Wireless SSID Broadcast enabled, SES Security Parameters Configured. WPA personal security mode TKIP algorithm. No mac filtering, and no time-day access restrictions. With this my neighbor claims he can get on my network and peek at my files. Is it possible he can get on my network, with all this security enabled. I know when I try to access a security enabled wireless network I need a network key???? Another question, when I enter my router setting I enter the router ip address, then I'm prompted to enter username and password, but as a default all I have to do is enter admin as a password. How do I change my username and password for router access?

2. eagerinsight

eagerinsight Private E-2

and how do i enable SSID Hiding??

3. Qwertyman66

Qwertyman66 Private E-2

Yes it is possible he can access your network. Not easy as you use WPA and he will need to crack the key, but possible.
    To make it a little harder make sure that the key is made using the same rules for a good password (in this case 20 chars is a good minimum if you can do it, along with numbers and special characters). Also enable MAC filtering on your network as this will prevent any unauthorised network devices from connecting. Also disable SSID broadcasts (it's under "Wireless > Basic Wireless Settings" I believe)
    To change the password click on a link titled "Administration" and it should be in there somewhere.
    Also make sure that all of the computers on your network have properly configured and up to date firewalls and antivirus.

4. eagerinsight

eagerinsight Private E-2

my network key is a 63 random alpha-numeric characters (a-z, A-Z, 0-9). If I disable ssid broadcast, it won't show up in available wireless networks? How do I connect to my network, the only way I know how to connect is through windows wireless connections.

5. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Hey eagerinsight,

I've got a WRT54G and under Wireless/basic wireless settings you can disable SSID broadcast.
    Enable broadcast while you set it up then disable once your connected. It will be automatic then.
    This does not affect your ability to connect to your network if your keys match using the same encryption.
    If you use the Wireless/Wireless MAC Filter listing ,use the permit only option and list the MAC from the wireless NIC.
    Under Admin/Management just change your password. Make sure to save all settings.
    This should make it harder to get into the connection. Nothing is perfect. It is still a radio signal.
    I fumbled my way through connecting 2 desktops and 1 notebook recently. Also, change the network name and key every once in a while
    if you leave the router on 24/7. Make sure the MAC filter list is updated at the same time.

(I almost had my key memorized by the time I was finished.):)

6. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

Any one who can break encryption would find your Wireless in a minute whether your SSID is On or Off. So it “Silly” to switch off SSID if use other Security measures.

http://www.ezlan.net/faq#ssid

:)

7. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I disagree. If nobody sees it, the temptation to 'sniff' it out isn't there. Having SSID broadcast on invites sometime to try to hack it. Similar to waving candy in front of a child.

8. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

SSID broadcast frames show up to programs like Netstumbler. But anyone with the intent to break into a wireless network won't be using Netstumber (thats for war drivers, not crackers), they'll be using Kismet - which sniffs all wireless traffic (not just SSID broadcast frames).

So even if you've got SSID broadcast disabled you're only reducing the risk of casual access rather than someone who actually wants to get in. If you're using WPA then that'll deterr the next level (someone scouting for a quick connection - there are plenty of homes out there with totally unencrypted and unauthenticated access).

If you've MAC filtering on, that'll deter the next level, because even if they break your encryption key (which takes a pretty long time with WPA-TKIP) they won't immediately be able to use your network.

Thats when you've lost the script kiddie with an Audior Boot CD. Then the semi-professional attacker will spoof your MAC address and probably execute a man in the middle attack to gain the information needed to geting to your router admin panel and give themselves access.

That's assuming that your router firmware isn't vunerable to some kind of exploit which lets them walk along and simply take over your router. Keep your firmware up to date ;)

9. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I agree with what you said, but with SSID broadcasting on, you are just announcing it to the world. Reduction of risk is all it will do. I'm certain it won't stop anything. Reduction, however, is still more effective than sending out a beacon from your network announcing it to those nearby.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds