Can someone explain me how to do this?

Discussion in 'Software' started by ric0h, Jul 16, 2007.

1. ric0h

ric0h Private E-2

Chain booting error?

This means chain0 was either unable to locate the Mac OS X partition or unable to load (and verify) the partition's boot sector. Chain0 doesn't bother about whether the partition is marked as bootable, but checks partition type and a valid first sector on it.

First, ensure the partition is of type 0xaf (HFS+). Types 0xab (boot2) and 0xa8 (UFS) would be accepted by chain0 as well, but the type should match the actual contents of the partition. Linux fdisk can view and change partition types.

If this fits, check wether your partition has a valid boot sector (= first sector of the partition). Without going too much into the details, this worked from a Mac OS X installed in VMware for me after unmounting the partition (Mac OS X speech: Dragging the Volume to the trash):

sudo dd if=/dev/disk1s2 of=block1 bs=512 count=1
    hexdump -x block1

The last two bytes should read "AA55". Else, the boot sector of the partition won't be accepted by chain0.

You can copy over the partition boot sector over from /usr/standalone/i386/boot1h, of course. Often, this won't help much, though. If your installation lacks a valid boot sector, likely something else went wrong as well, and you should verify wether you use the correct installation procedure.

Once chain0 has loaded and verified a valid partition boot sector, chainO hands control over to it: End of chain0's part of the game.

You can use a web decoder (e.g. http://www.motobit.com/util/base64-decoder-encoder.asp) in order to decode it and save as binary file.

Once you get your hands on chain0, you can check it's correct with this:

MD5 (chain0) = cfca64f400ef99e89b51e59bcb697137

does anyone undestand this? can you help me step by step? or something?

my msn is

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2007
  2. ric0h

ric0h Private E-2

anyone know?

3. ric0h

ric0h Private E-2

bump.. please help

4. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Heres the deal, dont take this the wrong way. This is a free help forum. You gotta remember people donate your time to help people. If your in such a hurry you can't wait a few days, you might be better finding some one to pay for instant help. Often problems take a week to fix here, or may not, just remember that its people donating spare time to help. You will get great help here, as we have some of the best people, proved by a recent round of awards from microsoft, but it may take some time.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds