Windows 7 doesn't seem as stable as XP to me.

Discussion in 'Software' started by kmblw, Apr 15, 2012.

1. kmblw

kmblw Private E-2

Anyone else feel this way or maybe I bought a lemon.

This laptop isn't even a month old yet and it's hung up many times and sometimes won't log off properly. It doesn't shut down, I have to press the power button to get it to shut off, and then when it reboots it says "Windows didn't shut down properly" and I have to tell it to start in Normal Mode.

I never had these kind of issues with XP until the computers was at least five years old.

I love the interface on 7 but would rather substitute that for the stability I've experienced in the past with XP.

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

The OS isn't the problem.

It is the hardware, drivers, or other applications installed. We will need more details before hoping to give you any advice.

3. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

If it doesn't shut down, it is waiting for something to terminate.

If you wait long enough, does it eventually shut down?

4. E-Tramp

E-Tramp Private E-2

Well, I haven't been aflicted with any instability, but, I really hate windows 7 for a number of reasons, the most irritating is the locked files and the ones I should be able to change the access on that won't let me change them. I get an error instead. I was going to install a linux system instead but, ran into a problem with it not detecting my new 3T Hitachi harddrive.

That is why I actually came here today, to see if anyone knows why that is. The other problem I have is that 750 GB of the harddrive in Windows 7 won't let me format it and create a partition with it.

I really think that Windows 7 is a waste of money, and wouldn't even be thinking about it, if XP had the ability to run 3D Video feeds. Unfortunately you have to have 7 or Vista for that capability unless someone has come up with a way of upgrading XP for 3D vision.

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  6. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

I have 7 installed now on an Acer laptop, and a Pent D based desktop computer I upgraded -so far, I feel the OS is as stable and at least as responsive as XP.

I agree with Adrynalyne and second the notion your issue probably relates to hardware, drivers, software, etc. The desktop of mine works great with 7, but the Acer laptop is a bit slower due to hardware; RAM is the biggest issue, I think (only 2GB) but I feel the chipset simply worked better with XP. I was able to speed things up a bit by turning off most of the bells and whistles (Aero, etc).

Like Adrynalyne said, though, more info is needed before anyone can give advice specific to your system.

7. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

Your problem as Adryn said is most probably to be hardware related, if you download Speccy from this site run it and post the findings it will give us something to begin with

http://majorgeeks.com/Speccy_d6358.html

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds