Trying to understand Dell Bios and Dell OS Discs

Discussion in 'Software' started by ENIGMACODE, Apr 7, 2005.

1. ENIGMACODE

ENIGMACODE Private E-2

Hello

Did someone say Flash the Bios?

In regard to Bios Problems, I've read here in other posts that trying to FLASH the Bios with Dell computers is not easy, and Dell themselves say that after you have done so, hardware related issues could arise - so the heck with that for the moment...

I'd love to crack the Dell Bios Code, and find out just exactly WHY some Dell
    Restoration OS CD's will work in some Dell Bios Settings, and NOT in others???

I happen to like Dell Dimension's 4100 (800 MHZ-1 GIG), Desktops. Especially the ones that have BOTH a PCI Sound Card, and an AGP Graphics Card....
    I have 2 of them - And what I've found out (so far), recently is that Dell Bios Versions A04, and A07 will ONLY Reformat to it's original OS Disc, 98SE, and XP Home SP-2.

I do have Dell Restore Discs SP-1, and SP1a. I have been in and out of the A04 Bios trying to get it to RECOGNIZE SP-1 - IT WILL NOT BOOT UP TO IT...
    But it will boot up to SP-2

Why do I want SP-1, and not SP-2?
    Because I have major software that will 'NOT' work in SP-2..

Dell sez it's because Bios A04, and A07 need updating?

But then why will it Boot to SP-2 and NOT SP-1?

Does anyone know what Dell Bios Versions will accept WHAT Dell OS Restore Discs?

Than for your help!

2. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Just woundering, What software do you have that wont run with SP2?

2nd question Why do you want to update Bios? Generally you would only update bios to solve particular problem, Bios updates are specific.

Have you tryed to contact Dell?

Have you tryed to install OS/Restore first then update Bios to the version ya desire, then if future restore is needed, flash back to the bios version that works with your restore disk before hand.

Seems odd that your restore wouldnt work with what ever Bios version ya had.
    I've never had any problems flashing bios an any Dell but after I think about it thay all had Full version Windows disk not Restore disk.
    Didnt think it should matter though.

Have ya seen this:
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=56410

3. ENIGMACODE

ENIGMACODE Private E-2

Thank you:
    ASUS - Major Geek (for your reply)

Yes well, I maintain several Web Pages with an old program from Sausage Software. And after I tried upgrading to SP-2, it rendered it useless ....
    And I have read other posts, and comments from more than the average PC user - mostly IT folks who have encountered problems with SP-2 as well ....

In regard to my initial post (the one before the one you replied to), I got hacked pretty good by the co-owner of Major Geeks. He must have mis-understood my question.... anyway I was amazed at his immediate scorn toward me...I am as honest as the day is long ...

Yes - I appreciate your reply in regard flashing a Dell Bios. Since I've posted that, I did finally get a straight answer from Dell. And yes I will take your advice and upgrade my Dell Bios. Why you ask would I need to do that?

Well, it seems my older Dell 4100's will not recognize my other Dell OS restore disc's.....

And if more than one Tech is advising the upgraded Bios - then so be it ....

Thanx again :)

4. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

I did not hack you.

Your post asked if you should go and purchase Windows rather then use the copy you were, implying you were discussing pirated software. Thats why it was closed. I do not hack and really do not care if you steal or dont, we just dont assist people with that. Once its closed its forgotten, though occasionally, misinformed people like yourself come back with silly statements like yours. When you publicly accuse someone, be REALLY sure you can back it up and are informed. Your not.

5. ENIGMACODE

ENIGMACODE Private E-2

"you were, implying you were discussing pirated software"

It's really a shame that you have accused me of such a crime ..

Why would jump to such a conclusion ....

Ok well - please just close this thread ....

I'll never post another thread here again .......

How can I remove my name from here?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds