Random ntfs.sys, ntoskrnl.exe, kmixer.sys, USBPORT.sys BSODs!!

Discussion in 'Software' started by tdevill, Sep 7, 2010.

1. tdevill

tdevill Private E-2

Hello all,

I have finally decided to come ask for help after trying to sort this myself, and scouring tech forums for hours.

I have gone back to using my old Dell Inspiron 8200 after my desktop fried. Will have to stick with it for a few months before upgrading my desktop.

The thing is the Dell works fine and does everything i need it to do, but with one horrible problem. At least 2-3 times per day i get random bluescreen errors ranging from:

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM
    KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
    PFN_LIST_CORRUPT

The drivers that are pointed to range from:
    ntoskrnl.exe
    ntfs.sys
    kmixer.sys
    USBPORT.sys

I have been using Nirsoft's Bluescreen view to look over the Minidump files.

I have attached a few of the more recent Minidump files to this message.

Now - I have gathered that this could be caused by several issues, some of which i have eliminated:

RAM - but I ran Memtest several times for a few hours with 0 errors.

A corrupt windows install - I doubt it because I have done a full windows reinstall and the error still crops up. Before XP SP2, and now XP SP3 (the same errors cropped up on both).

So that leaves

Drivers/Hardware - well I have checked and made sure most of my drivers are up to date. I really suspected it was an old Buffalo WIFI (airstation MIMO WLI-CB-G108) card causing the problem, but i just bought and installed a new card today and the error still crops up.

I don't really know now what the issue could be.

I have tried using the windows driver checker utility, but that just seemed to slow the system down loads and the blue screens still cropped up with the similar errors pointing to the same drivers.

Perhaps by looking at the Minidump files, you guys might be able to shine a little light on the issue?

here is my system info:
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Mobile Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 - M CPU 2.00GHz, x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 7
    Processor Count: 1
    RAM: 1023 Mb
    Graphics Card: ATI MOBILITY/RADEON 9000 (Omega 3.8.252), 64 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 38107 MB, Free - 12523 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Computer Corporation, Inspiron 8200 , ,
    Antivirus: AVG Anti-Virus Free, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

I have a few external hard drives, but this error occurs without them plugged in.

The new WIFI card i have plugged is a D-LINK DWA-645

Otherwise all that is plugged is a microsoft USB mouse, tho errors occur without this plugged in too.

The INSPIRON 8200 is a laptop, so the PSU is the DELL one it came with, doubt that wud be causing the problem.

I downloaded and installed all the motherboard related drivers i could find from the DELL support website.

The computer crashes most often when I shut down windows. It blue screens just before windows finishes closing.

However, it also randomly BSODs at other times - when browsing, using itunes, etc...

Look forward to your help.

Take care,

Tam

Attached Files:

2. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hi Tam and welcome to Majorgeeks.

I'm no expert on minidump reading but BlueScreenViewer shows that ntoskrnl.exe is implicated in all your dumps. I'm not sure but this may indicate the need for a repair install of Windows or that there is a power supply problem?

As far as power goes, you could remove your battery, CD/DVD drive, (2nd hard drive if you have one fitted), mouse, mini-PCI card and 1 stick of RAM to test further. The supplied 90W PSU is enough to power the fully loaded laptop plus a Dock II with a USB 2.0/Firewire card, 3rd hard drive and 128MB+ PCI graphics card - but the PSU's don't last forever.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Can you boot into Safe Mode ok and have no BSODs?

Any yellow ! marks in Device Manager, if so by what devices?

I would be with satrow and with the files that are listing in the BSOD, in doing a repair install of XP, but first of all before doing that some options below....

As you are using a hacked/custom driver (Omega series) for your ATi card, I would uninstall and install the official driver for your card direct from ATi or Dell (for your model laptop HERE), but you will have to clean uninstall/install the driver and run the below to do this.

Also random BSODs can be caused by an overheating laptop/PC so make sure the air vents/fans are all free from dust and you have the laptop on a flat surface so the vents are not blocked.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds