I need a "hot-spot"

Discussion in 'Smartphones and Tablets - Hardware' started by outdoorgal, Oct 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. outdoorgal

outdoorgal Sergeant Major

can someone advise me on a smartphone plan for a hot-spot? I would like to find out how many gig/megs for just surfing/page downloads as well;) ty in advance ps all I have is texting here and I am horribly slow at that, denise

2. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

outdoorgal likes this.
  3. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

I know my iPhone works as a hotspot, for example plugging it into my computer but you can use serious bandwidth. If you can let us know more of what you're looking for in a hotspot, like what you would use it for, we can elaborate more.

outdoorgal likes this.
  4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Denise

As mentioned some and alot of new smartphones can be used as hotspots, iPhones you can plug in and Windows Phones (I have a Nokia 920) can be used as a wifi router by using internet sharing BUT as MA says the data used can be a lot, and as an example, I use my Nokia 920 and internet sharing for my Surface tablet and tend to use in general surfing per month 2-3gb of data, I do have a 5gb of data plan with unlimited calls and texts that costs £27.50 a month.

I would warn that read the small print as if you go over your allotted data plan some providers charge an arm and two legs if you go over, luckily my provider O2 warn you when your close and will limit internet access if you hit your limit, so you dont get charged.

Costs can vary a hell of a lot and depends on providers plans. Whats your phone providers currently?

What smartphone do you have already or do you want suggestions? if suggestions whats your top $$ to pay for the phone and per month for calls and data?

outdoorgal likes this.
  5. outdoorgal

outdoorgal Sergeant Major

I don't know how to close a thread, but maybe someone could do that, or just know that I am set up now with wifi, and home is almost 99% of my phone usage. I do carry it out if I go, but just don't take calls usually. I call folks back when I'm at home.

Thank you all for your input/help:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds