Codec Packs

Discussion in 'Software' started by Sgt Wilson, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Sgt Wilson

Sgt Wilson Private E-2

There seem to be two main codec packs available, K-Lite and Advanced.
    How do we decide which one to install?
    What are the respective advantages/disadvantages?

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

If you choose the correct player, there is no need to install either.
    I use VLC and in Palemoon under plugins, I have the plugin for VLC. ( I guess it was set up when I installed VLC).

VLC has versions for Windows, linux and android. I can confirm that it works on all three OSes.

3. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

If you look at the TOP DOWNLOADS on MajorGeeks, you'll notice K-Lite is the first 3 on the list. Installing a codec pack means you don't need a third-party media player; Windows Media Player will play everything because the codecs are installed in the System32 folder.

On the other hand, if you install VLC media player or Media Player Classic - Black Edition / Home Cinema, you don't need any codecs - they are included.

The choice is yours.

I use MPC-BE for videos and Winamp for music; and don't let anyone tell you Winamp is a security risk rolleyes because it hasn't been updated in 2 years, that's :crap ...I have been on the internet for more than a week without an antivirus program and I'm still waiting... where's the malware? :confused

FYI I am not condoning not using an Antivirus Program, I'm testing...

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  4. Sgt Wilson

Sgt Wilson Private E-2

So codec packs are for media players, I didn't know that.
    But it seems to me that my question remains, how do know that we need a codec pack and which one do we then install?
    I understand that having both results in conflicts.

5. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

Another way to look at it is that which codec pack is not chosen for its codecs, rather, use the player you like. Look at the interface.
    For me the spacebar pause is important. Wifey wants subtitle changing, Son wants VLC because all his friends use it.
    If you want to play .swf files post that as they can be a little harder to set up.

6. plodr

First: decide what player you want to use.
    Next: when you discover something will not play, look at the extension and then look at a codec pack to see if it says it covers playing that extension. If it does, install it.

If everything you play works, then you do not need to install a codec pack.

7. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

8. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

I agree with plodr in that if media plays ok with your current and preferred media player then you are ok, dont need a codec pack, to be honest codec packs are good but good in the sense that they will cover all media codecs that are common and uncommon, so you are fine with all sorts of media, but do we always play weird media that a unused codec is needed, well not really.

K-lite or Shark codecs are both good if you wish to cover all bases in media files.

9. claptrap1

claptrap1 Private E-2

Hi! I never had a problem playing normal commercial DVDs but since installing Windows, I cannot play my DVD either in VLC, GOM player or Win Media player. When opening GOM player is says that I need to install 'Dolby ac3 codec'. Has Windows 10 removed this codec regarding it as something I should pay (again - it most likely came with a paid software). I am very disappointed, because I wanted to take my laptop to kindergarten to play some educational software I bought in England. (The kindergarten DVD player is in different region).

Now, I looked at a codec pack for VLC (my preferred player) from cnet.com but the official review says that while the codec pack is good, it also wants to install hidden software which is very difficult to avoid, unless you go to advanced settings, which are "very advanced" accodring to the official cnet review. User reviews say the hidden software is trojan / adware...

I went to downloads in this website but could not see reviews so I was still in the dark which one is ok to download. Luckily I saw in this thread that K-Lite is OK but I am also not very knowledgeable and I have never needed to do this before: I don't know how to install one. Do I just put K-lite pack in System32 folder or does it need unpacked first? Will I be able to play VCD disc with the codec as well?

10. plodr

First, avoid downloading anything from Cnet. They bundle junk with the downloads.

You can get clean downloads right here!
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/vlc_media_player.html

if the creator of the program bundles something with the program, MajorGeeks will warn you so always read the entire description before you install what you have downloaded.

11. claptrap1

claptrap1 Private E-2

Thanks plodr.

Will this also allow me to watch VCD disk? Not sure what that format is for...?

Also, should I uninstall the old VLC first or does it install on top of the old version?

12. plodr

You did not read the very first paragraph of the description at the download link.
    What version of VLC is currently installed?

13. claptrap1

claptrap1 Private E-2

Sorry it has taken so long. My version of VLC is 2.2.1

14. claptrap1

claptrap1 Private E-2

It must have been a Win 10 Glitch, it seems to have sorted itself out and I can watch Noddy again. Fingers crossed it will work with Gruffalo and other DVDs too. :)

15. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Command Sergeant Major

You can also analyse required codecs "on the fly" with VideoInspector

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds