File: \Windows\system32\config\system: Status: 0xc000014c

Discussion in 'Software' started by rea, May 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rea

rea Private E-2

Hi my friend computer came up with this screen the other day:

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer.
    2. Choose your language settings, and then click "Next."
    3. Click "Repair your computer."

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

File: \Windows\system32\config\system
    Info: Windows failed to load because the system registry file is missing, or corrupt.

She did not have a Vista CD, as her PC came with it on, so I told her I would try my CD, I put in the CD and the same screen came up and would not change.
    So I change the boot order, to start with CD/DVD first and still no change, it still starts up with that same screen.
    So I copied the Vista CD to my memory stick and changed the boot order to run with USB first and no joy again.
    I have run the boot in all of these orders with no joy:
    CD/DVD
    USB
    Hard drive

USB
    CD/DVD
    Hard drive

Hard drive
    CD/DVD
    USB

She did have a recovery disc, which I tried as well, with no joy.

Please can you help; I just cannot get passed that first screen.
    :cry

2. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

when you have it set to boot from cd, you should get a prompt that says "press any key to boot from cd/dvd"

3. rea

rea Private E-2

Hi,

No it just goes to the same screen again.
    I've done it before on other computers and it has worked, but this one, will not do it.
    Any clues on what to do next?

Thanks

4. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

is there something that prompts you to select boot options during startup? for instance, sometimes theres a prompt for one of the f keys that will bring up the boot menu. It's usually pretty quick, it appears the same time as the prompt to enter the bios. are you sure the boot order is correct in the bios, and you are saving it before exiting?

5. rea

rea Private E-2

Hi,

When the main screen comes up it says, press delete to go into the Biso screen, I changed the start up to run from CD first, then USB and then Hard Drive.
    Then I pressed F10 to save and exit.
    After I have done that the PC starts again and then goes to the same screen again, by passing the start from CD.

I don't know what else to do?
    If you have a step by step way of doing it, that would be great.

Thanks

6. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

try hitting one of the f keys to get into a boot order menu (it will be a 1 time selection)
    f2 f8 f12? not sure which, you might have to try them all. you will have to hit it around the same time as getting into the bios...does the computer boot into safe mode or give you an option to?

7. rea

rea Private E-2

Hi,

I did it again, with no joy.
    I have taken photos of the screens to show you.

On the main screen they are 2 choices.

Del : Enter Setup = Gets you into the Del Menu photo, from there I go into the Advanced BIOS Features, (Bios Photo), I then changed the priority by doing CD/DVD Drives and I also changed the First Boot Device to CD.

The other choice on the main srceen is:
    F12: Boot Menu ( Boot Menu photo)
    Again I tried it by changing to start with the CD first.

After doing both I got the same screen come up ( After change to start from CD photo).

Both never worked.
    When I have the screen (Windows Error Recovery) it does have a bit on there to start in save mode, which I have done, all it does is go to a Windows Boot Manager screen and then back to the Error Screen.

Attached Files:

8. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

It sounds like the CD isn't working because it keeps bypassing it and trying to boot from the hard drive.

9. rea

rea Private E-2

Hi, I made another recovery cd and it let me boot from cd, but still no joy.

After it said hit any key to start, it then said Windows is loading files.
    And then went to a page that said: Windows Vista Language to install, which I did.
    Then to page Windows Vista Install now and on the same page it said Repair your computer, so I clicked on repair.
    Then to a screen System Recovery Options, it said select an operating system to repair and click next.

The box where you had to pick one from, never had any in it.
    At the bottom of this screen is said: If you do not see your operating system listed, click Load Drivers to load drivers for your hard disks.
    I have no drivers to load, so I clicked Next.

This screen: System Recovery Options
    Startup Repair
    System Restore
    Windows Complete PC Restore
    Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool
    Command Prompt

I clicked on Repair, it said: Startup repair is checking your system for problems, after it had done this it said:
    Startup repair cannot repair this pc automaticaily.

What can I do now, I want to try and save the files and photos that my friend has on her PC.
    If I go to Acer website and try and download the Drivers that it is asking for which ones would I have to download?
    Or is there another way to fix this?

Her PC is an Acer Aspire M1640.

:cry

10. Drizzles

Drizzles First Sergeant

Do this again except select Command Prompt ... then type chkdsk /r
    Let that run then after its finished type bootrec /fixmbr
    then bootrec /fixboot
    then bootrec /rebuildbcd

Reboot, remove the CD/DVD and try again :major

11. rea

rea Private E-2

Hi, sorry still no joy....

When I did chkdsk/r this is what came up:

The type of file system is NTFS.
    Cannot lock current drive windows cannot run disk checking on this volume because it is write protected.

Help, what can I do not, also need to save the files & photos on this PC if I can.

12. Drizzles

Drizzles First Sergeant

Try chkdsk /x /r

13. rea

rea Private E-2

Hi, no joy with that one, it says the same:

The type of file system is NTFS.
    Cannot lock current drive windows cannot run disk checking on this volume because it is write protected.

14. Drizzles

Drizzles First Sergeant

Huh ... so you can't boot into safe mode or anything?

15. rea

rea Private E-2

Hi, no it will not let me get into save mode or any other screens.

16. Drizzles

Drizzles First Sergeant

Huh, I'm starting to run out of solutions ... reset BIOS defaults maybe?

See if you can connect it to another computer ... not as the boot drive mind you.

17. rea

rea Private E-2

Hi, no joy...

I still keep getting:

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer.
    2. Choose your language settings, and then click "Next."
    3. Click "Repair your computer."

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

File: \Windows\system32\config\system
    Info: Windows failed to load because the system registry file is missing, or corrupt.

18. Drizzles

Drizzles First Sergeant

Hmmm ... not sure I can help you there sorry bud ... you might have to wait for other answers ...

19. rea

rea Private E-2

Ok thanks any way, if someone else can help, that would be great....

20. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

if you just need to save the files, you will need to put the drive in an external enclosure, and attach it to another pc, or put the drive inside another pc, and copy the files you need.

21. jrumj

jrumj Private E-2

I just had this same issue. Resolution was to get machine to boot from disc. In your case you may have a hardware issue as well if you cannot boot to disc. Make sure your HD is booting AFTER cd/dvd. I used a RTM copy of Vista and ran repair, repair did not fix issue but restore is another option when repair finishes trying to detect issues... Hope this helps... GL

JR

22. jrumj

jrumj Private E-2

Oh... Also wanted to add why this happened... AV was installed on top of Norton. This was the result.. After restore the Norton was removed.

23. michelous

michelous Private E-2

i am not even that lucky
    i am having the same problem
    i have a vaio laptop
    my computer froze during an anti-virus run
    when i restarted
    i have
    windows failed to start a recent hardware or software change might be the cause to fix the problem

1. insert your windows installation disc and restart your computer
    2. choose your language and then click next
    3. click repair your computer

if you do not have this disk contract your system admin or computer manufacturer for assistance

file \windows\system32\config\system
    status 0xc000014c
    info windows failed to load because the system registry file is missing or corrupt

when i start i get these options
    safe mode
    safe mode with networking
    safe mode with command prompt
    last known good configeration
    start windows normally

when i pushed f8 i got these options
    safe mode
    safe mode with networking
    safe mode with command prompt

enable boot logging
    enable low-resolution video
    last known good configuration
    directory services restore mode
    debugging mode
    disable automatic restart on system failure
    disable driver signature enforcement

start windows normally
    the only windows disk i have is an xp disk

when i try to use the xp cd it says setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer
    make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected
    i would like solutions that don't involve me getting new hardware or software
    since i am pretty much broke

Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  24. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Please start your own thread for your own issue instead of hijacking someone else's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds