Can't access owner folders/documents but other folders in master HD! Please help!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tomcruise3230, Jun 15, 2009.

1. tomcruise3230

tomcruise3230 Private E-2

I have a Seagate Internal HD where i have "windows xp" installed that isn't working properly due to shock however i can still turn it on but it only shows up a blank black screen and doesn't go no where. So i had to put it in an external enclosure with my other "windows xp" PC . Doing that I can access folders like "programs" and "windows" and "guest documents" however what i cannot do is try to go inside the owner/admistrator folder because i get the message "access denied- this folder is unaccessible". When i go to "properities" it says it has 0 bytes however when i click on the "hard drive icon" itself it says it does have almost all the 120 GB (and over 48% free space) i have saved on the administrators account. I already tried running it on safe mode but it just restarts over and over and doesn't go through.

So please tell me how can I possibly recover files (only want to recover very important documents only) where windows is installed and I am not getting premission to check the "owner/adminstrators" folder and documents.

2. Petaluma

Petaluma First Sergeant

An idea or 2

You could download and burn a Live Linux distribution (boots and runs from cd/dvd) this might be able to get around those pesky problems.

I would recommend Knoppix or Mandriva (DL and burn ISO) then make sure your pc checks the cd/dvd first (can be adjusted in your BIOS) then boot and you will have access to the files. (Unless they are completely borked-from shock)

OR
    If you are not comfortable with that...
    You can use a program offered here at MG's called Recuva

http://majorgeeks.com/Recuva_d5514.htm

(Note the above program can take hours to complete depending upon system specs-grab a cold one and kick back)

I have used it several times and have had very good results-

Petaluma

3. tomcruise3230

tomcruise3230 Private E-2

I never tried but i will do what you suggest.

also does anyone know another method i can use?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds