How to remove all remnants of MS Office?

Discussion in 'Software' started by zapp, Mar 11, 2011.

1. zapp

zapp Staff Sergeant

friends, a person I'm trying to help was trying to install MSO 2000 Pro after having run the office 2010 Trial for a while. The trial expired and she uninstalled MSO 2010.
    But MSO 2000 Pro would not install correctly.

we ran a Belarc Audit to surface any/all Office items that might yet be lurking... there's probably a better way to do that but Belarc did surface Microsoft Office XP, but only categorized it in the long general list of installed software. It did not pickup any Product Key for MSO XP. Expectedly, there is nothing in the Add/Remove programs list related to any MSO install.

How do I pick off what remains of MSO XP?
    Revo Uninstaller? or is there a better way?

2. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

3. zapp

zapp Staff Sergeant

4. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

You might also install CCleaner and run its registry cleaner. It will probably find some remnants of the Office 2010 installation and it can remove what it finds. That might do the trick. You can download CCleaner from http://majorgeeks.com/CCleaner_Slim_d4191.html.

Note: anytime you use a registry cleaner, be sure to create a backup of the registry before executing the cleaning. CCleaner will prompt you to backup the registry before proceeding to "Fix" the registry items it found and you should backup your registry at that point before proceeding.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  5. zapp

zapp Staff Sergeant

yep, did that yesterday. there were too many to sift through to see if it got "the one".... 545 registry issues. :-D

6. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Whoa there, 545 registry issues, and that's with CCleaner, which is not an aggressive registry cleaner. Many other registry cleaners would find more than 545 because they are more aggressive, which sometimes makes them hazardous to the user's computer.

I know what I'd do, I'd let CCleaner go ahead and fix, i.e. remove, all items it found. A finding of 545 items indicates a good bit of clutter in your registry. Although removing all of it may not yield a noticeable improvement in your computer's performance, it may avoid potential problems down the road when installing new software. That's why I suggested using it. It may resolve the issue you have with reinstalling Office 2000 after removing the trial version of Office 2010.

7. zapp

zapp Staff Sergeant

shoulda been more explicit: I DID clean them all up, then afterward discovered the remnant.
    I think I got it covered now.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds