How to add images to a database?

Discussion in 'Software' started by earsz, Jun 27, 2012.

1. earsz

earsz Private E-2

I want to be able to include small images (photos) in a database. The databases are inventory of jewelry, gemstone beads, and gemstones. They are XLR spreadsheet files created within MS Works. Can it be done; and if so, how? Would some aspect of Open Office help? (I have that.) Many thanks all suggestions. :)

2. earsz

earsz Private E-2

I'm disappointed. Have I stumped all of Major Geeks' geeks? Since I deal with thousands of unique jewelry, parts and varied gemstone and other beads, I want to post tiny images of the products within the spreadsheet. With more than 12 thousand unique items inventoried, this has seemed increasingly important. One can include an image in an invoice (though I haven't done that and don't know how), so it seemed likely that one could include an image in a inventory spreadsheet. Other than Major Geeks, I have no idea where to ask if you can't help.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Not really stumped us as it depends who reads your post and question and may know the application you are using and if it can do or has the option you wish as its likely you will have read the manual to see if your application can do what you want it to do?

Sadly I do know MS Works enough to know if it can do this but your title and databases and adding images, then yes it can be done in Microsoft Access by using the attachment tool option. Thinking back to using Works then its not possible to attach an image to a data file, the application is too limited.

Spreadsheets are another area and not a database in the normal sense of the word, but in the likes of Excel you can add an image to a cell, which could link with a product item for example.

Personally if you are running a business then MS Works is not the application to use, its great for simple home use but business, then no, I would suggest using Open Office if you cannot afford/buy Microsoft Office.

And use its Calc application (MS Excel clone) to manage your business files or create a simple Base (Access) database.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds