AdwCleaner freezes during cleaning.

Discussion in 'Software' started by Tony41, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Tony41

Tony41 Private E-2

Hi everybody, from Italy.

I’ve looked on the web and inside this forum without finding same problem.
    If this is not the correct place to post this question, please let me know, thanks.

Could anyone tell me why AdwCleaner freezes when is about to cleaning folders? the only way to continue is a hard PC reset.
    I’m running it from the desktop, during the search it finds a lot of junk, but then refuses to clean it. Antivirus and Firewall are off, who could be the one that stops it?
    I’ve already ran Malwarebytes and CCleaner.
    I’ve tried downloading AdwCleaner from different places, even from this forum… nada!

The problem I was trying to solve was already done (I guess) by other means, and the PC is OK (I guess again…), but the fact that I couldn’t run ADW let me curious.

Any help will be appreciated, thanks.

Tony

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Try running it and unchecking/unticking all but one of the items it finds. Does it remove that?

3. Tony41

Tony41 Private E-2

Thank you plodr, I will try right now.
    I'll let you know.

4. Tony41

Tony41 Private E-2

Worked.

There are 27 Items in Folders, 1 in Files, 13 in Register, 1 in IE, and one Item unselectable in each Firefox and Chrome tabs.

I left marked only the first Item in Folders and the two uselectables at the right.

It ran perfectly.

So, somewhere is one Item that is screwing up everything?

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Maybe there is so much to clean that it appears to freeze when it is actually working.

Run it and select 3 or 4 folder items and see if it clears them. If that works, I'd simply select 3 or 4 folder items each time to clear out. Then when those are done tackle the file, then the registry. I'm not sure what to tell you about the browsers since items were not checked in 2 of three browsers.

6. Tony41

Tony41 Private E-2

Yesterday, after satisfactorily deleting 1 Item, I said “well, let’s find out who is the responsible little by little” and selected only the first 8 Items on Folders tab - (8 because from 9th on is almost the same “C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Apps Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions\ jbolfgndggfhhpbnkgnpjkfhinclbigj” - It froze again.

My collateral problem is an old issue with Windows Start Up (XP SP3): it is EXTREMELY SLOW, so If I want to isolate the guilty on ADW little by little, I have to spend (and wait) more than 6 minutes every start up. It remains stuck with the desktop picture for MINUTES, I haven’t measured, but I’m sure that are more than 5 min.
    On more than one occasion I have been tempted to expose the problem in this forum, but since the computer is turned on in the morning and turned off at night, after successfully working all day, I have not paid too much attention to it. It is something that “I’ll solve it soon or later”
    I have dedicated myself to remove ALL software that starts automatically leaving only what is strictly necessary, but is still taking an immensity during Startup. Instead, the Shutdown is done in 5-6 seconds.

Could be helpful the resulting AdwCleaner log? I can attach it in the next post, the titles are in Italian, but I think it is easily understood, since the structure is the same. The above blue string would be: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Impostazioni locali\Dati applicazioni\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions\jbolfgndggfhhpbnkgnpjkfhinclbigj

Thanks

P.S.
    1) I still working with XP because we work with an old program based on DOS which is not accepted by newer Operating Systems.
    2) If anyone can redirect me to find a solution with the starup, I will appreciate it, thanks.

(hope you understand my Italenglish)
    :-o

7. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

Hi my friend , you can check your hdd with this tool

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/hard_disk_sentinel.html

about Health/performance , even you can inform us about the model of your hdd which is showing at the report , you can also follow these tips

Start - Run - %temp% - ok removing all folders
    Start - Run - temp - ok removing all folders
    Start -Run - prefetch - ok removing all folders

you can remove all from recycle bin , you can also follow this post

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/...nup#delete-files-using-disk-cleanup=windows-7

maybe you need this tool

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/defraggler.html :wave

8. Tony41

Tony41 Private E-2

Thank you falconattack.

Quote:
    Start - Run - %temp% - ok removing all folders
    Start - Run - temp - ok removing all folders
    Start -Run - prefetch - ok removing all folders

Sorry, but I would not want that my poor English betray me; do you mean that I can delete all the folders that appear when these commands are run?

BTW, I had already Defrag the HDD without any noticeable difference, the recycle bin is almost always empty. I got Advanced System Care 7.3 PRO and run it every two or three days. Besides defrag, it checks also the disk.

I’m trying to figure out what the heck is the computer doing at startup, when it stops several minutes with the desktop image in full screen (this image has been changed several times, moreover, for test purposes has been also removed)…

The HDD is a Seagate 500 GB.

I consider my PC clean of junk programs, games, etc. because I work with it, so I try to keep it as empty as possible.

:confused

Tony

9. falconattack

Yes i mean delete folders , i am sorry , at the top left of hdd sentinel report the model of your disk is located , you can inform about this , even what is the specifications of your machine ? What is your Operating System ? You can follow this

http://www.homeandlearn.co.uk/BC//bcs4p13.html

to inform us about your specs , cpu , ram et cetera :wave

10. Tony41

Tony41 Private E-2

I ran Disk Sentinel, top left: ST3500418AS (465,8 GB) - Temp. = 29° C

When installing, I choose "English", but it only worked for the Wizard, the program was installed in Italian. :-o

Which tab should I post?

[​IMG]

11. Tony41

Tony41 Private E-2

Sorry, I forgot the System data:

Windows XP Proffesional
    Version 2002
    Service Pack 3

Intel Core i3-2120 CPU @3.30 GHz
    1.58 GHz, 3.46 GB RAM

:)

12. falconattack

13. Tony41

Tony41 Private E-2

HeHeHe :-D I use Google translator almost everyday (even my mother tongue is NOT Italian... but Spanish :-D:-D)

So, Health should be 100%? - 98% is not enough?

I will run the SeaTool and let you know.

14. Tony41

Tony41 Private E-2

I have SeaTool downloaded.
    Which test should I run? there are 8 different, one is 'fast' or 'slow'.

Some warnings about possible data lost make me think... I don't have everything backuped. rolleyes

15. Tony41

Tony41 Private E-2

At this point, I can assume that nobody has a valid answer or help.
    OK, thanks anyway.

I didn't run SeaTools as suggested by falconattack because all those warnings about possible data lost frightened me, I'm sorry. :-o

Thanks you all.

:)

16. Tony41

Tony41 Private E-2

Thanks donetao,

I'll surely give a closer look at the tutorial.
    I just brushed up it before, but you know, the lack of English let me only read the words "data lost" like a bar's blinking neon sign.

:-o

Thank you again donetao for your concern.

Tony

17. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

What does checking the hard drive have to do with a stalling ADWcleaner?

18. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Regardless, it is bad advice!! Keep to the issues. :major

19. _nullptr

_nullptr Major Geeky Geek Geek

As TimW has stated this issue has nothing to do with the health of the HD.
    As far as the reason that ADWCleaner hangs on "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Impostazioni locali\Dati applicazioni\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions\jbolfgndggfhhpbnkgnpjkfhinclbigj", anything I suggest would be at most an educated guess, which is entirely pointless.
    If you want to get rid of all the detected junkware and anything else that may not be detected, then I'd suggest running through the READ & RUN ME FIRST and posting the log files in a new thread in the malware forum.

20. Tony41

Tony41 Private E-2

Thank you all guys and sorry for create this impasse.
    Time allowing, I will follow the procedure READ & RUN ME FIRST. I’ve done it before and I know that it requires time and attention.
    Since my PC is reasonably working good to me, apart the startup slowness and the ADWclearner issue, it can wait.
    I will post the logs as soon as I get them.

Thank you all and happy weekend.

21. Tony41

Tony41 Private E-2

Well, donetao, you were not wrong after all.
    I decided to run SeaTools "Full Generic" (sorry if voices are different, my program is written in Italian)

It FAILS:

[​IMG]

May be this is the guilty of slowness.

For shortcut, I have another HD 500 GB almost new, it has only some data written when I tried to use it as a backup disk, but then, for other reasons, it was put apart.

Can anyone tell me how to change disks to replace the failed one? I mean, is there a procedure that someone like me, with little knowledge, to make a mirror copy of the failing disk?
    I would like to take advantage that everything still working, I think this is the right moment to do it instead of waiting for the fatal day...

Your advices would be very appreciated.

22. falconattack

23. Tony41

Tony41 Private E-2

Thank you falconattack, but... how to migrate to a new HD keeping everything you already have in your actual disk and, overall, without any TRAUMA?

24. falconattack

25. Tony41

Tony41 Private E-2

Could I make a bootable mirror copy of C:\ using SyncBack?
    (pls, forgive me, reading English Manuals is not easy for me)

In the other hand, I looked for the WESTERN DIGITAL HD SATA 500GB 64MB WD WD5003AZEX 7200rpm Caviar Black mod. WD5003AZEX and it is feasible to have it.

Just waiting for your advices on which software to use for the migration to proceed.

Thanks

26. _nullptr

_nullptr Major Geeky Geek Geek

27. Tony41

Tony41 Private E-2

Thank you _nullptr!
    I downloaded the program and I'm reading the manual.
    I will give it more time after work or during the weekend.

I will let you know.

28. Tony41

Tony41 Private E-2

Hi everybody,

Just an update regarding the two problems exposed here: The ADWcleaner freezing and the slow startup.
    I decided to leave momentary apart the ADWcleaner issue and concentrate to the slow startup.
    I bought and clone a new Western Digital HD with my old Seagate C: disc.

TimW, before I proceed, should I open a new post for the slow startup?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds