To Windows 10 or not to..

Discussion in 'Software' started by outdoorgal, Sep 4, 2015.

1. outdoorgal

outdoorgal Sergeant Major

..that is my question;)

Just let my updates run on Win 7, and the icon for Win 10 appeared. Now I am tempted to go for it but would love to hear some feedback from those that have upgraded. Also, if there are any folks out there like me, that are still in our "pre-geek" knickers, I would like to hear how you are doing with it.

I never caught onto Win 8, or 8.1 since my sister had it on her computer, but I never really liked trying to find my way around on hers. She knew way less than I knew even, and bought a puter with that already on it. So I would try to help her once in awhile.

Anyway, I am good with Win 7, but admit getting something free, and a newer version of anything is like I said, tempting;) Denise

PS Feedback welcome, thoughts, advice??

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Don't know what to tell you. I upgraded an 8.1 system without a hitch, but I have seen a few Win7 systems that have issues with drivers. All I can say is if you do decide to upgrade, you can easily revert. I'll let others chime in.

3. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

First things first: make a full backup of your system before you attempt any upgrade!

I upgraded W7 to W10 a few weeks ago, and I have not experienced any major problem.

While most looks still the same as W7, there are a few differences, and it will take a while to
    a) find what is where
    b) how to use the stuff that is new

My main unhappiness was until I found the right-click on the Start button, which brings up just about everything you need (Control Panel, etc.)

4. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

I upgraded 8.1 on my laptop but 10 felt very sluggish in comparison and I ended up rolling it back to 8.1 after a week or two. But I really like 8.1, it's very light of foot on your average machine compared with the massive Win 7.

Coming from 7 you would find there is a significant learner curve for 10. It's all there, but finding it can initially be a bit of a challenge. Coming from 8.1 the interface is a lot more familiar.

One aspect of 10 that has upset many people is Windows Update. Pro users can defer updates for a while but home users cannot. All updates get installed automatically.

MS appear to have done a very thorough job with the upgrade process itself and for most people it's painless.

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

I've found the update process fine in a few PCs, I will say on one older Netbook Win10 is sluggish but that Netbook is not a quick one and turning off Cortana and a few other things its ok, better with Win8.1 though.

On the other PCs I have and a 2009 Laptop it works perfectly but I guess it horses for courses, what may work ok for me may not for others.

The update process I have found and worked on a relatives PC yesterday was that if the screen display looks wrong and jerky as well as slow, then you need to clean install your graphics driver.

6. outdoorgal

Thank you to all replies, and so much good info for me. I reserved my copy, in case I decide to go ahead with the upgrade. Here is my system info (attached) for anyone that wants to comment on that. My laptop is getting "up there" so it may just need to be replaced, although it still works fine for me:

Attached Files:

7. Earthling

That laptop spec is quite similar to my Thinkpad E335, the one 10 felt a bit slow on. I guess 7 is a bit slow on it too so you may not feel there is much difference speedwise. You might also want to invest a few $$$ in a SSD, as that does speed things up significantly. You could try 10 and see how it goes as you are given 30 days to decide whether to keep it or to roll back. For me the rollback went smoothly but I did cover myself by taking a system image first, in case it didn't. I have read of rollbacks to 7 that haven't gone so well so I would recommend grabbing an image before upgrading.

8. outdoorgal

I have never done an image before, and it's something I really, need to try. Thanks Earthling. I think I will take a gander at doing that this a.m. Once I have that, I will feel much more secure about trying Win10.

I can also play a vid from youtube and see what it looks like, Win10 I mean. Like I mentioned, I didn't care for 8 or 8.1, mainly those tiles. What in the world are those good for? Maybe I am missing something (ok, a marble or two, lol) but I just like a list, much easier to read;) denise

9. Earthling

The tiles are really for phones and touchscreen computers but it's easy to configure 8/8.1 so you rarely see them. Apart from Cortana, and who needs that, 10 is really just a revamp of 8.1 but as you can roll back I would always recommend ppl to try it first and then decide.

Shout if you want a hand with imaging. Everyone should be using it.

10. outdoorgal

I found your thread on imaging Earthling, you should get a notify as I posted there. I am wanting to do the imaging, and asked you some questions there;) Thank you much, and good for you to keep putting that out there for folks like me that skip doing it, and end up in trouble;) denise

11. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

If/when you get Win 10 and upgrade remember you only have 30 days to revert. After that Microsoft changes your Windows 7 key to a Windows 10 key. You will have to buy a new key if you want to go back.

12. tleewade

tleewade Private E-2

i put windows 10 on my laptop and desk top over a month ago love it there is a lot of up dating to start with but it gets better and better,and i havent done anything the up dates keep sending what i need.windows has some of the up dated drivers. it sent what i needed. glad to have 10 cant and wont go back.this is a up grade . go for it.

13. avondude

avondude Senior Member, 25% Off All Posts

I am not much of a geek. I like to keep it simple and sweet. Have upgraded to Win 10 painless. Am enjoying it. All from my for what it is worth compartment. Go for it! 65 year old grandpa here.

14. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Hello
    I bought my pcs with Win 7 then upgraded to 8 and 8.1.
    I imaged all of them so I can revert anytime.
    I suggest you take another look at imaging you referred to in a previous post which is not hard to do. If you feel good with that function, then you have nothing to lose to try Win10.
    I enjoy ten and after learning how to tweak it with help from forums like this have it running privately an smoothly.

You can use Win imaging program but Macrium Reflect is free and helps you
    create the disk you use to recover any image you make. I am sure this forum can help you with it. I have used it for years after using Acronis and it has never failed me. if you have the newer UEFI instead of the older BIOS the disc Macrium creates will let you recover without disabling secure boot or fiddling in the F2. Just insert the disc and recover.
    Good luck

15. Earthling

It's all very well you guys urging the OP to go ahead and upgrade to 10 but no one should do so without first imaging what they have now. Her problem is that she does not have and cannot afford the storage media needed for imaging. If she goes ahead without an image, and if anything goes wrong, or if it doesn't run well, she could lose everything. There's no need to rush into upgrading and she is being sensible holding back for the time being. My 2p.

16. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

>>I missed that she was not able at the time to get an external drive or has no cloud access.
    If you read my post I advised her to image and not to upgrade until such time.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds