Windows will sleep, but not awaken

Discussion in 'Software' started by drcarl, Sep 29, 2015.

1. drcarl

drcarl Staff Sergeant

Wake not working...

SYSTEM DETAILS

Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) Service Pack 1 (build 7601)
    Board: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. X58A-UD3R
    6144 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
    Printer: HP LaserJet 1200 Series PCL 5
    Printer: HP Officejet 5600 series
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4 connected by USB on occasion
    Belkin / AC750 Wireless Router F9K1116 v1
    AMD Radeon HD 5700 Series [Display adapter]
    AMD High Definition Audio Device
    HD Webcam C310
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    APC UPS
    Texas Instruments 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller
    APC UPS
    Microsoft Composite Battery
    Broadcom 2045 Bluetooth 2.0 USB Device
    Microsoft Bluetooth Enumerator
    American Power Conversion USB UPS
    HID-compliant consumer control device
    HID-compliant device
    USB Input Device (2x)
    HP Officejet 5600
    Logitech HD Webcam C310
    HID Keyboard Device
    Microsoft USB IntelliMouse Web
    General Purpose USB Hub
    Generic USB Hub
    Logitech USB Camera (HD Webcam C310)
    Officejet 5600 series (DOT4USB)
    USB Composite Device (2x)
    USB Printing Support
    USB Root Hub (8x)
    Generic volume shadow copy (<--???)

PROBLEM

‘Puter goes into “sleep” mode, yet on attempting to awaken with a keyboard tap (mouse movement no longer activates), the machine attempts to start (fan, lights, drives go) yet sends no video signal to the display necessitating a hard restart.

I thought I had it fixed last night, but wait – DAMN! – It’s back.

Wake function was working at 2 AM. Then I tried to isolate which setting was the culprit and have destroyed the ability to awaken from sleep mode again.
    Please take me out back, just somewhere and shoot me.

How can I get this machine to have a functional “Sleep” mode again?

Here’s what appeared to have worked:

Device Manager> Network Adapters> Realtek PCIe GBE > Properties> Advanced tab> disabled “Shutdown Wake on Lan”, and disabled “Wake on Magic Packet”

Both are disabled now. Wake still broken.

What to do?

I make a change - test - and watch the fail. I have tried LOTS of things...and am probably just digging a deeper hole to put myself into.

NOTES:

LOTS of Sleep trials, followed by Hard Power Off cycling...to get Windows to start again.

Am migrating out of MS Outlook to eM Client (eMC), but don’t think that’s the problem since “Wake” has been acting funny for a while (like awakening in the middle of the night; [I have no cat moving my mouse])

ran CCleaner, reg fix

spybot anti-beacon closed

from CMD ran powercfg.exe /hibernate off, then back on again with restarts...

Noticed: Usually, when powering up from a hard power off, I get multiple User Account icons to log onto. When I come back from sleep, I get one. Now, even though I just did a hard power off (after getting hung with no image sent to display on attempting to resume from sleep) I got my one person logon screen, not the multiple icons. ??? Restarting after holding power button down for shutdown, well, it looks like it's awakening from Sleep mode!

"Power Plans". Click "Change plan settings" and then "Change advanced power settings". Go to "PCI Express", "Link State Power Management" and set it to "Off".

control panel>network-security>network sharing center>change adapter settings> right click local area connection> properties>configure button (under networking tab)>power management tab, clear check from “allow this device to wake the computer” [realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller Properties] – currently not checked

Go to >>> "ScreenSaver" >>> "Change Power Settings" >>> "Change Plan Settings" >>> "Change Advance Power Settings" >>> "Multimedia Settings" >>> "When Sharing Media" >>> and make sure the setting says "ALLOW THE COMPUTER TO SLEEP."

updated all available drivers via Slim Drivers

In Device Manager, cleared checkmarks from ALL USB Power Management tabs
    leaving “power save” unchecked (first two and all USB Root Hubs) AND for HID (Human INterface Devices, (first two) too.

Unplugged all printers etc leaving only mouse, keyboard and displays connected for a trial.

Device Manager> Network Adapters> Realtek PCIe GBE> ..., Properties> Advanced tab> disabled “Shutdown Wake on Lan”, and disabled “Wake on Magic Packet”

moved second monitor to alternate socket on graphics card – tested - failed

Wonder: how many of the above changed need to be reversed to their original status?

Device Manager> Network Adapters> Realtek PCIe GBE > Properties> Advanced tab> disabled "Shutdown Wake on Lan", and disabled "Wake on Magic Packet" (whatever that is)
    I tested each of the two advanced Network Adapter settings individually and have the problem back again.

After hard restart, my individual logon comes back instead of the several User Account icons to choose from.

moved second monitor plug to alternate socket on graphics card, again - tested - failed

shut down via start button, switched to different mouse while off – tested - failed

Next: switch second monitor plug-to-card during power off ~after~ proper Windows start button shutdown – no love

ERRORS

Note: in computer management>system tool>windows logs>system I have repeated “The HP Network Devices Support service terminated with the following error: The specified module could not be found.” I have been ignoring that because I only have two HP printers connected to my computer through a USB hub.

The device, \Device\Harddisk3\DR7, has a bad block. (extra drive I installed)

The server {E10F6C3A-F1AE-4ADC-AA9D-2FE65525666E} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout. (how do I mark a bad block? chkdsc /r something? )

Microsoft Antimalware has encountered an error trying to load signatures and will attempt reverting back to a known-good set of signatures.
    Signatures Attempted: Current
    Error Code: 0x8050a004
    Error description: This package does not contain up-to-date definition files for this program. For more information, see Help and Support.
    Signature version: 1.203.1304.0;1.203.1304.0
    Engine version: 1.1.11903.0
    ---------------
    NOTES

I had turned off MSE for a day in an attempt to speed new indexing and have run Malwarebytes anti malware and super antispyware recently. MSE seems OK now. Ran MWB Antimalware - clean - SuperAntiSpyware: removed some cookie threats.

Ran sfc /scannow
    Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them
    Details included in CBS.LOG

Tried to scan/read the log but was “denied access” to Notepad to see CBS.LOG.
    Sent log to Documents and could then read it. Very long file. Lots of failed this and failed that.

Uninstalled HP Updater to get rid of “HP Network Devices Support” error under Services. I guess that’s unrelated because the service is still there. Tried to start it: “Windows cannot start ... on local computer. Error 126. The specified module could not be found.”

shut down modem, router, computer, printers,...restarted each in that order

At CMD, at “C:\ I ran “sc query HP_Network_Devices_Support” and see this:
    [SC] EnumQueryServicesStatus:OpenService FAILED 1060:
    The specified service does not exist as an installed service.

ERRORS, continued...

"Name resolution for the name wpad.Belkin timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded." (I have no idea what this “wpad” error is (I do have a Belkin router))

The server {10DA4F3C-CC99-4190-BE4D-58330754E882} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: eeCtrl

Custom dynamic link libraries are being loaded for every application. The system administrator should review the list of libraries to ensure they are related to trusted applications.

The LogMeIn Kernel Information Provider service failed to start due to the following error: The system cannot find the path specified.

The Apache2.2 service terminated with service-specific error Incorrect function..

Name resolution for the name www.lithium.com timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded. (<--What’s this?)

Ran CCleaner again

Ran sfc /scannow again – many fails as before

Turned everything off, then on again.

Shoot me now?

Help?

2. drcarl

drcarl Staff Sergeant

I know. TMI.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds