New Computer – Would Appreciate Some Advice!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by aidan80, Mar 25, 2007.

1. aidan80

aidan80 Private First Class

I’m putting together a new machine and I’m on a fairly tight budget. First of all I have purchased the components listed below. :D

Intel PentiumD 805 2.66@4.0Ghz
    G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 800
    1x 160GB HDD (I will add another and run as RAID 0)
    ABIT AW8D Intel LGA 775 975X Motherboard
    • 2x PCI Express x16
    • 2x PCI Express x1
    • 1x PCI
    • 1x AudioMAX – 8 Channel Dolby Master Studio
    • 2x Dual 10/100/100Mbps LAN
    • 4x USB 2.0
    • 2x IEEE 1394

I have only 1 PCI slot available on my new motherboard and I intend to fill it with another Creative sound card. I might go for the Audigy SE 7.1, sticking with on board is not an option.

I’m looking for an inexpensive USB ($70 and less would be perfect) TV card. I intend to use this TV card with Media Portal. I’d post a link to Media Portal only I’m not sure if it’s allowed, Google if you haven’t already heard of it.

Next is.. What VPU I should get? Budget is about $150 (US) and the board is limited to Crossfire so no SLi. On Newegg I’ve found the X1900GT at $129 and the X1950GT at $144, suppose the X1950 should do it?:p

Finally I intend to run Vista Ultimate (maybe in 6 months time) and I’m thinking of using a USB drive as the primary boot device. I have a 4GB drive and may use that or buy a larger USB drive and use that instead and map the documents and program folders to the 2x HDD’s. I may also just run from the HDD and use the USB drive as virtual memory and avoid sticking the OS on a USB drive. I’m not entirely sure how I will setup so would appreciate any and all thoughts.:)

2. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

3. aidan80

Thanks, I'll look into it, so far that USB TV Card looks very nice! :) Even has NTSC - PAL should I go home...

4. WaHooCrazy7

WaHooCrazy7 Private E-2

I cant speak from experience on the X1950GT, but i do have a X1950 Pro in my desktop that i built. It is an awesome card, plays F.E.A.R. flawlessly at high resolutions, keep in mind i have
    • AMD Athalon 64 3000+ 'OCed to 2.2GHz
    • BioStar mainboard
    • 1 gb Ultra ram
    • 2 gb AData ram
    • BenQ DVD Burner
    • 160gb IDE HDD

Hope that helps on your decision, i would highly recommend that card just from my experience with ATI and the X1950 Pro

5. aidan80

Thanks for the response, I was thinking just the same thing from the benchmarks I've seen for the X1950GT. That and an extra $15 isn't much for a wee bit more horsepower.

6. MJames23

MJames23 Private First Class

What is RAID 0?

7. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

data striping; both drives act together as one so they can both be written to/read from simultaneously providing improved performance. bad thing is, if one drive fails, all the files are lost

anyways...

another vote for the x1950, its a VERY good card for the price. also, u may wanna talk to BoldEagle, he's running the 805 as well and is overclocking it too

8. aidan80

Looks like it's the 1950GT!.. Maybe I'll pickup a second one for cheap a few months from now..

I know RAID 0 isn't perfect but it'll do until additional drives are added to the array then I'll change the level to something more suitable.. such as RAID 5.. anyway at the minute I'm still waiting on the first HDD to arrive. In fact I'm still not even sure if I'll use the HDD's for an OS or if I'll use the USB drive..

I've already set up an 805 and overclocked it without touching the standard voltages. It went very smoothly from 2.66 to 3.2Ghz to 3.6Ghz without as much as a bump. The only thing that slowed things down was the budget and the 667 RAM. It kinda reminds me of the old Celeron 300A.. and the PII 450 :)

I'll have to talk to BoldEagle should I find them... I don't have my machine up and running yet, It'll be another 2 - 4 weeks before I get the VPU, Case and the other essentials.

9. WaHooCrazy7

WaHooCrazy7 Private E-2

Sweet! Sounds like it should be a sweet gaming rig with that config. If you want to play F.E.A.R. or Tom Clancys Ranbow Six Vegas online pm me.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds