ThinkCentre power supply

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hoofie, Oct 17, 2007.

1. hoofie

hoofie Private E-2

Hello all,
    This is my first post here and would first of all, like to say, I find this site very useful. It has helped with problem solving a few times already.

A friend has an IBM ThinkCentre won't power on. power LED starts to blink fast as soon as it's plugged in to wall power. I took the side panels and front panel off and saw on the board, a small LED orange in color blinking away. Pressing the power button does nothing, it stays blinking. I unplugged power, reseated all the power connectors, still the same. I moved the CMOS jumper on the board from 1 and 2 to 2 and 3 and then back and removed the battery for about 15 minutes, still the same.

I removed the power supply completely and used a voltage tester on it while plugged in to power. Power at the female end of the cable is 122 volts+/-. when cable is plugged into power supply and voltages read, 0 at all power connectors that plug into the drives. I get +5.06+/- volts from 2 sources on the connector that plugs into the motherboard and that's it.

Unit is about 4 years old. She said the kids used it last in Feb '07 and has been dead since then.

Is the power supply dead?

2. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

Welcome to Major Geeks, No 12 volt anywhere? If not psu is dead on the 12 volt side. ed

3. hoofie

hoofie Private E-2

no, the only voltages that I got were the 5 volt readings from the connector to the mobo.
    which pins should I be getting the 12 volts from?

4. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

Quote from another article,

Today's typical desktop PC PSU produces the following DC outputs: +5V, +3.3V, +12V1, +12V2, -12V and standby 5V. Additional "point of load" DC-DC converters step down 12V to the CPU core voltage and other low voltages needed for motherboard components. To support 75 watt PCI Express requirements in the current systems the 2 x 10 main power connector has been replaced by a 2 x 12 connector. The 2 x 2 power connector is added for the second 12V rail that supports the processor.

http://www.smps.us/computer-power-supply.html

Last edited: Oct 17, 2007
  5. hoofie

hoofie Private E-2

thank you for that post ed, I'll see what I can find from the link

6. hoofie

hoofie Private E-2

I took the power supply completely apart, found a fuse, checked it and it's good. checked for possible loose connections, checked the dual voltage slider switch for continuity, it checked good, I believe it's time to put that PSU to rest or send it for refurbishment. lol I found a refurbished one for 50 bucks on line, so they're not that expensive to replace.
    Thanks for your help anyway.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds