Security alert won't stop popping up

Discussion in 'Software' started by adamsclewes, May 19, 2008.

1. adamsclewes

adamsclewes Private E-2

I have a security alert pop up at start up and have had it for a couple of weeks. It says the security certificate has expired at hpppresearch.com. (It's a Verisign certificate.) I have selected to continue, not continue, install certificate... I've run the "Windows XP Cleaning Procedure" from MajorGeeks (a time consuming task) and it continues. I suppose I could just ignore it but it's annoying.

k

2. evilfantasy

evilfantasy Malware Fighter

You should post the logs.

3. adamsclewes

adamsclewes Private E-2

4. adamsclewes

adamsclewes Private E-2

5. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

This is not a malware issue...your logs are clean.....what did or do you have installed that requires a verison certificate?

I'm moving you back to software......

6. adamsclewes

adamsclewes Private E-2

I've not installed anything,that I'm aware of, requiring that certificate. I can only think it was an online customer survey post-purchase or the like. But I don't know for sure. Verisign told me it the customer's issue (hppps research).

7. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Start then run type in msconfig and click on the startup tab. Look over the entries to see if anything relating to hppps research is set to run at startup. If so, uncheck it, click apply, close the box and then it will tell you that you need to reboot.
    You may get a message when you reboot but not the certificate one. Post back and let us know what happens. If it is another message about selective startup, we can get rid of that one quickly.

When I googled, I did not get any hits for anything like hppps research.

8. adamsclewes

adamsclewes Private E-2

I ran the msconfig and found an HP Personal Printing Solutions/Product Research. When I ran a Google search for hpppsresearch.com I found a similar complaint with responses indicating it's related to some kind of real estate software. I'm not in real estate so I have no idea from whence this may have come. In any case, the system will not allow me to uncheck the entry. Besides checking with HP, are there any other suggestions?

Thanks to you all.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds