COD5 Freezes after so much playing time

Discussion in 'Software' started by Dan_UK, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Dan_UK

Dan_UK Private E-2

Hi
    After so long playing CoD5 online on PC (about an hour), my WHOLE pc just crashes and I have to restart it by holding in the power button.
    Could it be a processor or ram problem?

Here are my specs

RAM: 2 gig
    CPU: AMD Athlon 64 processor 3200+ 2.0ghz
    Video Card: NVidea GeForce 7800GS
    Video Card Memory: 256mb

Hope you can help!

2. MR.T

MR.T Private E-2

Hey Dan
    could u let me know what u have the graphics set at because by wat i see here is that u could have it on high graphics.
    i had the same problem on my old computer.
    its because your processor can not handle the settings.

3. MrPacE

MrPacE Private E-2

Have you tried looking in the Event Log (Admin Tools) to see if there is any indication of what it could be in there?

Does it happen on a certain map? Is it anything to do with Punkbuster? Or could the PC be overheating?

Might want to try killing some of the background processes too if you're playing a game online... that used to help me with BF2.

MSconfig: This is a great program built into Windows XP. Most people should know about it, and how to use it, but I’ll include it in here anyways. To open it up you Click on “Start” -> Then click on “Run” and type in “MSCONFIG” and hit “Enter” You want to put the bullet into “Selective Startup” We want to uncheck, “Process Win.ini” “Process System.ini” “Load Startup Items”. Don’t worry about any other check boxes.
    Then you want to click on the “Services” tab, and check the box that says “Hide all Microsoft Services” After that, click on “Disable All”. Click Ok at the bottom and restart your computer. This will prevent many items from loading when windows starts

4. Dan_UK

Dan_UK Private E-2

I have NOTHING running when playing COD5, only Skype which to speak to my mate. No virus scanners or anything like that

5. Dan_UK

Dan_UK Private E-2

anyone?

6. gimpster123

gimpster123 Bring out the Gimp.

does this happen in single player- non online mode? Are your temps to high? Have you updated your graphics, networking adapter, and sound drivers lately?

7. Jerkyking

Jerkyking Sergeant Major

Sounds like a heat issue. Try and monitor your CPU & MOBO temps when playing.

8. Dan_UK

Dan_UK Private E-2

Before playing its 51C, after playing for 5 mins its 64C

9. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

play for a bit longer, as anything over 70 (for me anyways on a 8800Gt) will cause minimal freezes...also i know from experience that alt-tabbing out of the game will cause it to freeze and i have to end the process and restart the game, is something (like an antivirus scan or something else) causing the game to minimize? as far as i know, just about everyone i know who plays that game cant minimize it without it crashing.

10. Dan_UK

Dan_UK Private E-2

I play with virus checkers turned off.

It just happens of a sudden after at least half an hour of playing.

11. gimpster123

i still suspect drivers or temps- update your video, network, and sound drivers. Also post both your cpu and gpu temps

12. Dan_UK

Dan_UK Private E-2

^^^^

13. gimpster123

is this cpu or gpu temp?

14. Dan_UK

Dan_UK Private E-2

CPU Core

15. gimpster123

does the Nvidia conrol panel give you a gpu temp?

16. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds