How to move email to my documents?

Discussion in 'Software' started by frybo30, Jul 26, 2009.

1. frybo30

frybo30 Master Sergeant

I'd like to save certain emails to a folder on my hard drive, such as in My Documents. I've done this a few times by the new folder/copy/paste in new document maneuver, but that is cumbersome. Is there an easier way? Thanks.

2. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

What email client are you using?

3. frybo30

frybo30 Master Sergeant

I'm using Windows Live Mail. I also have Windows Mail available, and I have used Mozilla Thunderbird although I don't have it installed at the present.

4. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Since I haven't used Windows Live Mail, I'd better not try to answer your question. I'm sure other members are familiar with it, so stand by.

5. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

my guess it that it would be easier to install a mail client, or use windows mail, and download the particular messages you want, then save them that way. one other way could be to install a free pdf creator, and print the messages using the pdf maker.
    http://majorgeeks.com/PDFCreator_d6011.html

that pdf creator will install itself as a printer, and you can choose it when printing one of your messages from live mail. the drawback is once you do that, you can no longer edit the text of the finished pdf.

6. frybo30

frybo30 Master Sergeant

Thanks for the replies.

7. AbbySue

AbbySue MajorGeeks Administrator

The easiest way to do it IMO is simply drag the email you want to save out of the folder and drop it into the folder you want it saved in. This automatically saves the message by making a copy of it. The message will be totally intact and named by whatever the subject line is, which you can easily changed if you wish to.

8. frybo30

frybo30 Master Sergeant

I was hoping I could save it elsewhere on the hard disk. The only choices for folders into which to drag things are folders in the email program. Is there a way to drag email into a folder on the Desktop, for example?

9. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

What would you hope to do with these emails if you stored them on your desktop? Emails are files with extension .eml, and you can go into Windows Live Mail storage folders and copy them to your desktop if you want. But all that happens if you open such a file on your desktop is that it will open your default mail program - WLM presumably - in order to display it, so you might as well have left it in there in the first place.

If you mean you want to display the content of your emails in a different program - Word for instance - then there is only copy and paste to new document. Clumsy and pointless imo.

10. dr.moriarty

dr.moriarty Malware Super Sleuth Staff Member

:confused

Why not do this?

I'm using Windows Live Mail version 2008 (Build 12.0.1606)

Viewing "Inbox" > left-click to select the rec'd mail > click on File/Open > click on File/Save as > navigate to desired directory > select "Save as type" to Text Files (*.txt) > click OK.

dr.m

11. Earthling

dr.m

Ah, didn't know WLM could do that - you can't in Thunderbird. But how would that handle any html content, and what about attachments?

12. frybo30

frybo30 Master Sergeant

Hey, folks, I guess I didn't explain myself. Every so often, I get a message saying, in effect, that I am using more space than I'm allowed and that I won't get any more emails until I free up some space by deleting stuff. I can't remember the exact wording. I'm not sure where the message is coming from--WLM or my ISP. I know about storage folders with WLM; in fact, I was using some. But I continued to receive those "too-much" messages. The reason for my original post is that I thought I must move stuff I want to save for a length of time out of the email program to elsewhere. Am I wrong?

13. dr.moriarty

HiYa, Earthling!

I'm using FireFox and there are 4 optionals "Save as types" -
    • Mail (*.eml)
    • Text Files (*.txt)
    • Unicode Text Files (*.txt)
    • HTML Files (*htm;*html)

Attachments -- I guess some creative "Labeling" of the attachments would work when they're saved?

@ frybo30 - I understood that you were wanting to store copies of your mail out of/away from WLM and on your hard-drive or removable media... which what I posted does.

dr.m

14. Earthling

frybo, that message is coming from your ISP, it's nothing at all to do with WLM or any other email client. Your first port of call should be your ISP's website and check out the state of all of your mail folders there. Maybe their spam filter has been dumping tons of stuff in a junk folder and that's what is eating up your allocation. Look at all the folders anyway and you will cure this problem There is no need to be looking for any other answer I don't think, but come back if you have an ongoing problem.

dr.m, you said you were using WLM, a mail client. Firefox is a web browser :confused

15. dr.moriarty

Ooops!

But anyway - yes, I am using WLM.... also!:-D -And the rest still applies.

dr.m

Last edited: Jul 28, 2009
  16. frybo30

frybo30 Master Sergeant

Thanks, Earthling. That sure makes sense. I didn't see how Internet mail services such as Hotmail could offer so much "space" and my local WML did not. Not that I know it's not WML, I'll go after my ISP, which is the local, privately-owned telephone company whose every employee I know by name. Also, thanks to Dr. M for your interest and help.

17. Earthling

You can normally sort this yourself via the mail link on the ISP's website. Just need your usual login details.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds