network/router issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ragni, Jan 1, 2010.

1. ragni

ragni Private E-2

Hello everyone!

I am having an issue since I moved into a new house about two years ago. The problem is that I can not connect more than one computer to my network for internet.

The problem is that my cable is connected with a router, then throughout the house inside the walls and back out into the room I am in now. Now, I do have another router in this room that I bought so I could use more than one computer at a time without cable wires running loose all over the house. Unfortunately I can not get it to work.

What can I do to fix this issue?

Is it possible to connect a router to another router and into a computer for internet access?

2. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

Just use the switch ports on the router. dont use the WAN/internet port, and turn off dhcp on one of the routers.

or just buy a cheap switch and you wont have to mess with anything. plug it in and it works.

3. xratedsoldier

xratedsoldier Private E-2

King Steve is correct. A switch would be the way to go.

Although, depending on the make/model of the routers...

1. Connect Router 1 to Router 2 using port 1 on both router. Internet port on router 2 will not be used. Use internet port on router 1 for...of course internet.
    2. Turn off DHCP and NAT on router 2

Router 1 supplies the IP addresses and router 2 essentially works as a switch.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds