Formatted hard drive and can't boot from bootdisk

Discussion in 'Software' started by ctotten, Sep 25, 2008.

1. ctotten

ctotten Private E-2

I need help getting my computer back up and running. I formatted my hard drive on my VERY old PC about a year ago and now i can't get it to boot. I downloaded a boot98.exe file and burned it onto a disc, but when i put it in and start the computer up it says "Invalid system disk. Replace the system disk, and then press any key"
    When i enter the CMOS setup utility it says IDE Primary Master is SAMSUNG SP0411N.
    How do i get this bootdisc to work?

2. Bugballou

Bugballou MajorGeek

bootdisk.com lists two boot disks for Win 98, (oem and custom) and two for Win 98SE (oem and custom). If the system has a floppy drive I would start there and on an XP system load the files onto a floppy. Have done boot disks for XP Home/Pro, and for a dual boot with a Linux OS, and it was a no brainer, never needed one for 98.

3. ctotten

ctotten Private E-2

OK, that sounds fine. I have already downloaded and burned the OEM version of the win98 boot disk, but when i put it in the computer it says "Invalid system disk. Replace the system disk, and then press any key".
    So what do i do now?

4. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

In the Bios utility do you have the boot order set as CDROM first and Harddrive second?

5. CaroleAnne

CaroleAnne Private E-2

When you burned the disk, did you specify that it would be bootable? Some burning software requires this.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds