Display error 24 - unable to solve...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rigmaster, Jul 31, 2005.

1. Rigmaster

Rigmaster Private E-2

Guys,

I'm a newbie here- excuse me if I don't know all the protocols around here, I'll try to pick them up quickly.

Anyway- here are the details on my PC:

Compaq Presario 5WV280
    900 mhz AMD athlon
    Windows ME

256 MB RAM
    30 GB HD
    56k modem

Machine is pretty much as setup from Compaq, except we added 128MB RAM a couple of weeks ago for a total of 256 MB- no problems after that install. We also recently replaced the modem, the original modem died and it was replaced with a Diamond multimedia Supramax 56i PCI that my brother gave me. No problems with that after we got it installed + running.
    The problem came up about a week after the modem replacement + RAM install.

I am using Netzero Dialup as my ISP.

The problem I am having is this. My PC is in (what I think is) Safe mode- low resolution display, giving me Error 24 "Display driver error". It tells me that I need to reinstall the display driver, or install an upgraded driver, because the current driver is either damaged or not correctly installed. It then prompts me to the "Installation wizard" to find a better driver- but when I go thru that procedure, it says I already have the best driver installed.

When I try to remove the display driver (thinking it might work to remove + then reinstall), it begins to go thru the process, then the system freezes- every time. I tried the HP/Compaq online tech chat, but they were not very helpful- everything they suggested, I had already tried without success.

When I check the status of my system, the display driver Icon comes up with a yellow exclamation mark- indicating there is a problem.

The system works for the most part normally other than the display problem- but it's really annoying.

Not sure if this is a hardware or software problem, but it's definitely a problem. Any help you guys can provide will be greatly appreciated. Let me know if you need any other info and I'll post it up.

Thanks!!

Rig.

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

What video card is in the machine? What have you tried? A typical test would be to remove the modem and ram again to see if that works. Optionally, theres a slim chance the video card went bad. If its onboard and using shared memory, I would suspect the ram. If its not onboard, maybe try another card. Problems like this require trial and error of removing hardware until you can narrow down the culprit.

3. Rigmaster

Rigmaster Private E-2

Video card is Nvidia Vanta LT (as installed by Compaq).

I have tried "removing" things one at a time- but only using "remove hardware", I have not tried physically removing components yet. I'll try pulling the RAM and see what happens.

Thanks for the help- I'll report back.

Rig.

4. Rigmaster

Rigmaster Private E-2

OK, I took out the "new" RAM, but seems to have made no difference.

When I use the device manager to remove the display adapter, it freezes the system, I have to do a CTRL-ALT-DEL restart to get it going again. Once the system reboots, it shows that the display adapter is gone (it shows it by name "Nvidia Vanta LT (Compaq)"), but then under Other Devices it shows the newly found "PCI VGA-Compatible Display Adapter"- which must be the same thing.

Is there a way to disable the Install wizard (or whatever they call it) so that it does not automatically add the hardware to my device list?

I'm going to "remove" the modem and see if that has any effect- since that's one of the last things we added before this trouble began.

It was mentioned that there's a slim possibility that the Video card has just gone bad- any other thoughts on that idea?? How best to check that??

Thanks!!

Rig

5. Rigmaster

Rigmaster Private E-2

Re: Display error 24 - SOLVED!!

Problem solved (for now.).

I took this thing over to my wife's 80+ year old uncle, WWII Bomber pilot, all around great guy who is now repairing PC's for the local country folks.

We could not find the problem, could not solve it with "upgraded" drivers or anything else we tried. We then pulled a graphics card (Diamond multimedia something...) from a "parts" PC he had sitting around, plugged it in, got a driver that would work with it and it's now working great!!!

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm sure I'll hang around this board from now on!!

Rig.

6. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Re: Display error 24 - SOLVED!!

Pulling video card worked then, good!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds