Programs missing from Add/Remove list.

Discussion in 'Software' started by bigal344, Jan 6, 2008.

1. bigal344

bigal344 Private E-2

Hello, i've just found that alot (Probably around 60%!) of my installed programs are not showing up in Control Panel-Add/Remove programs.
    I'm running XP Home SP2, and i haven't done anything major/stupid recently.
    I've tried a system restore, although none of my recent restore points make any changes to the system.
    Any help or pointers would be gratefully apprieciated.
    I've looked around and have found alot of threads here and elsewhere on the web but nothing that helps me out, and i've managed to pick up some useful hints from here in the past just by reading other threads, so hopefully.......

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

First, Welcome to MajorGeeks! :major
    Second, are you sure that there's not just a large empty blank white space in your Add/Remove list? This is a fairly common issue and it's usually easily solved. Have you tried using a 3rd party add/remove programs type of app? This can at least show you that the programs are indeed there, just not listed correctly. You may want to run Dial-A-Fix. It will fix all the Control Panel applets and DLL files that may have become unlinked (unregistered) from their "hosts". Here's some links:
    Revo Uninstaller http://www.majorgeeks.com/Revo_Uninstaller_d5706.html
    Add/Remove Pro http://www.majorgeeks.com/AddRemove_Pro_d5572.html
    Dial-A-Fix http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4899.html (check all the boxes in the Registration Center and click Go! If you get any errors, post 'em here. DAF is totally safe as it doesn't delete or install anything)

3. bigal344

bigal344 Private E-2

Thanks loads, i'll give that a go asap, and report back!:):)

4. bigal344

bigal344 Private E-2

Hi again, i've run dial-a-fix with no changes to the Add/Remove programs list,
    I've tries both of the other 2 programs and the only items that show up in either
    are Comodo,FireFox and the uninstaller themselves!!

I've been led to believe that the registry entry is this one;
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

However this is what is in that entry:

[​IMG]

Should there not be more entries here if this is the uninstaller entry?
    I may well be wrong, i don't know to much about registry entries and will look but not touch!!

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Open Revo Uninstaller. Are the missing programs there? This program monitors what is added and can remove it so maybe it is taking over the job of Add/Remove. I don't run the software so I won't know until you tell us what Revo shows.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds