Using Publisher 98 to open Publisher 95 files

Discussion in 'Software' started by woowoos, Jun 18, 2008.

1. woowoos

woowoos Private E-2

Hi..I need some help. I am helping to make a Year Book for my daughters school and the bulk of the work is on my head. My problem is that the school girl putting pages together is working in Publisher 95 and I only have Publisher 98 and 98 won't open 95 files....is there any work around for this? Can anyone offer me a suggestion so that I can work on these files? :confused

I'd appreciate and advice.

Thanks

Cheryl

2. akhilles

akhilles First Sergeant

Save/export the file as/to a more common format and open/import it in your 98.

3. woowoos

woowoos Private E-2

What would you suggest I open it in? I don't think I even have anything to open the file. I need to be able to open it with something to save it in a different format.

Cheryl

4. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Publisher 95?

I seem to remember that Microsoft hadn't bought the originating companay until 1996/7.

I thought the first version under the microsoft banner was 97. I also vaguely remember some font issues with the 97 and 98 .pub issues.

What exactly is the difficulty?

5. woowoos

woowoos Private E-2

It is definitely Publisher 95. I right clicked on the file and looked properties and it tells me PUblisher 95 version 5.0.

The problem is I have Publilsher 98 and 95 won't open in 98. So I can't open the file. The girl giving me the work uses 95 so I can't redo/fix anything she has done if I can't open it.

Cheryl

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Ironically, MS shows that Publisher 98 can open Publisher 95 files
    [​IMG]

Of course, I'm reading from others frustrated because they face the same problem. Suggestions mentioned were: turn off your anti-virus, try it in safe mode, and shut off the print spooler because publisher 95 has printer information embedded in the file. I also saw that it was recommended to move the file to the computer rather than trying to open it from a floppy.
    If I see that anyone has done it successfully, I'll post back.

This site http://www.zamzar.com/
    will convert a pub file into one of these types
    doc - Microsoft Word Document
    html - Hypertext Markup Language
    odt - OpenDocument Text Document
    pcx - Paintbrush Bitmap Image
    pdf - Portable Document Format
    png - Portable Network Graphic
    ps - Postscript document
    rtf - Rich Text Format
    txt - Text document

Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
  7. woowoos

woowoos Private E-2

Thanks Plodr

That screen shot you put in I had come across in my searches too. I've tried the other things you also mentioned but no go. My FIL has a copy of version 5 so I'll just have to get that and install it I think. Seems everywhere I've looked on the net no one has been able to solve it for themselves either. Such a dumb situation when a newer version can't open a previous versions files.

Thanks everyone for the help though.

Cheryl

8. woowoos

woowoos Private E-2

Update on my problem...I now have a copy of Publisher 95 version 3. The files I am trying to open are made in Publisher 95 version 3. I know this because I right clicked and went to properties which gives me that info.

I am still getting the same message that it can't open the file from a different version....How the hell can that be?? It is the same version!!!!

I am getting so frustrated with this darn thing! Sorry to vent but I thought this would have fixed my problem.

Anymore advice and I do thank you for any help that you are giving me.

Cheryl

9. plodr

Are the files on a floppy? The only thing I can think of is that some computers can not read floppies from another computer.

Apparently the original Publisher 95 version 3 on this person's computer is strange because a) Publisher 98 should have been able to open the files and b) the same version of Publisher 95 definitely should have opened them.

Have you dragged the files from floppy or CD to your computer as a copy and tried to open them that way?

10. woowoos

woowoos Private E-2

They are on a disk but I dragged them to the desktop.

I created my own publication in 95 and re-opened it in 95 and also in 98 and it opened both times. So now I am thinking that it is a problem with these particular files. Perhaps it is the way that she has saved them. I really don't know and can't figure out why they wont' open. When I go to open them from within publisher I can see that they are there in the preview right before I open. I can actually see what it looks like but as soon as I click open I get the message.

Oh well, back to the drawing board. She'll just have to do it all over again and I'll go step by step with her. Lots of redoing work ahead.

Thanks for trying to help me out. I do appreciate it. :)

Cheryl

11. plodr

I wonder if these were created in Publisher 95 on school computer which might be a different "version". I'll be interested to learn what you discover.

12. woowoos

woowoos Private E-2

No it was created on her home PC. If I work anything out I will let you know.

Cheryl

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds