Can't reinstall XP on laptop after cleaning with DBAN

Discussion in 'Software' started by mikeinstlouis, Jul 18, 2007.

1. mikeinstlouis

mikeinstlouis Private E-2

Hello and thanks for reading.

I have a ViewSonic tablet laptop that had the unfortunate experience of having a keylogger type worm installed onto it, so that my "friend" was able to spy on all of my emails. I figured the best approach would be to clean the hard drive with DBAN. This worked fine on my desk top...and appeared to work well on my laptop as well.

The problem now is that when I try to reinstall the recovery disks for the laptop and even the windows XP that I use for my laptop, I get the same error: (blue screen)

A problem has been tetected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer...blah blah blah.

Technical information:

***STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF99E640, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

My laptop does not have a cd player, but I am using an addonics peripheral CD player.

The error occurs after the recover disks boot up, the computer says to push R for display system recovery options. I do so and I see the appropate "starting systems recovery" scroll at the bottom of the screen.

After that, I see the error.

I also tried to use my desktop windows disk to see if I had a problem with my recovery disks...same thing.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mike in St. Louis

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds