Windows XP drivers

Discussion in 'Software' started by weynato, Dec 4, 2008.

1. weynato

weynato Private E-2

I worked on an HP Pavilion a6130 that came with Vista installed. Because of specialized software that will not run on Vista, the hard drive was formatted and Windows XP Pro SP3 installed. Of course, a whole set of devices didn't have the proper drivers and I started with trying to get the drivers from HP. No luck, HP only had Vista drivers and their idiot chat service was no help either. As a matter of fact, they steered me in the wrong direction. The motherboard is an ECS MCP61PM-HM and when I went to the ECS website there was no such motherboard listed and no way to get the Windows XP drivers. The dilemma led to to think that if I went to download the Windows XP drivers for an ECS motherboard with the same chipsets it would work. I selected the GeForce6100PM-M2(V2.0) and dowloaded the Windows XP drivers for the onboard ethernet port, video, audio and chipset. The entire nVidia suite of devices worked flawlessly after installing the ECS Windows XP drivers. Here's the ECS website that I used to download the drivers.

http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Do...ver&DetailDesc=&CategoryID=1&MenuID=6&LanID=9

I hope this helps others faced with the same problem.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi and Welcome to Majorgeeks

Thanks for your post and link to drivers for this HP model.

HP support may not have been totally wrong with you as they like others source motherboards from the key makers like ECS, ASUS, MSI etc but these are special builds for the likes of HP, DELL etc and are almost never found on the original makers retail listings as you cannot buy these, unless as a replacement part.

Exactly as you have done is the way many of us get around driver issues when motherboard is not listing, try one with similar chipset and spec, as you found out it can work.

Again cheers for taking the time to post your solution.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds