Free office suites other than OpenOffice.

Discussion in 'Software' started by Aimee Wilbury, May 7, 2009.

1. Aimee Wilbury

Aimee Wilbury Staff Sergeant

I'd like to try something new, but all I can ever find is OpenOffice or some Linux stuff. Anyone know a good one for Windows? Thanks.

2. JustinHoMi

JustinHoMi Private E-2

There's IBM Lotus Symphony, but it's OO underneath.

There are several opensource Word or Excel alternatives, such as Abiword and Gnumeric.

3. Aimee Wilbury

Aimee Wilbury Staff Sergeant

One thing I'm looking for is something like Access. Haven't found anything like it yet. Have trouble with the one in OpenOffice. Also something similar to Publisher. Tried Scribus and it confused me.

edit: Opened the one in OpenOffice again. Amazingly it works. This time. See what happens when you threaten to replace software. :confused

4. Pete22

Pete22 Private First Class

:wave Hello,

There is a new flavor of OpenOffice called Oxygen OpenOffice. It has lots more features.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/OxygenOffice_Professional_d5340.html

To give it a try: Unstall regular Openoffice before you install OxygenOffice or you will get an error message that you already have it installed.

Enjoy!

P.S.
    My first helper post!
    I hope it works for you.

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Amiee

I agree with Pete22's post the latest OO in Oxygen is good, but if you want Access and Publisher to work like the MSFT versions then sadly you need the MSFT versions.

Access is seriously powerful and nothing IMHO comes close to it, just depends on how good you are with databases, and OO has a competent DB in Base.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds