Carbon Monoxide poisoning from a window-type air conditioner

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Gottheit, Jun 6, 2005.

1. Gottheit

Gottheit General Logic

Is this possible? I know it is with furnaces and central air...But I did some research and I could find nothing which pointed to window air conditioners as a source of Carbon Monoxide.

Anyone know?

I ask because I've been having some problems with my unit, and have been wondering about any sort of chance Carbon Monoxide may find its way in here. I know nothing of air conditioning units, so any insight would be immensely appreciated.

2. StarBow1er

StarBow1er Private Spam

I dunno if air conditioners do that but, why don't you look into a carbon monoxide detector? That way you will know if there's any in your house!

3. G.T.

G.T. R.I.P February 4, 2007. You will be missed.

Not possible. Carbon monoxide is a byproduct of burning, and nothing is burning in a pure A/C unit.

4. Gottheit

Gottheit General Logic

Oi. I knew there was a reason the logical explanation elluded me.

I hated Chemistry. ;)

Thanks a lot G.T. Most helpful, as per usual. :)

5. mew2

mew2 Sergeant Major

CO2 no, mold and mildews yes... be sure and take it apart every year and clean the muck and sludge from the insides as well as the fins. disinfect it as well. i had bad allergies until we started cleaning out ours...

6. Gottheit

Gottheit General Logic

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'd be more than happy to let the maintenance crew here at my apartment complex take care of that one. ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds